1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Pendulum - Lagrangian Mechanics

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see attached image :)

2. Relevant equations
    Euler-Lagrange Equation
    [itex] \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{q}} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{q}}} = 0[/itex]
    [itex] L = T - V[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. The potential energy V is the potential energy from the spring and the gravitational potential energy. The kinetic energy is the energy in the radial direction and in the theta direction.
    [tex] L = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+\dot{\theta}^2(r_0+r)^2) + mg(r_0+r)cos\theta - \frac{1}{2}kr^2[/tex]

b. Use one Euler-Lagrange equation for r and one for theta and I get: [tex] m\dot{\theta}^2 + mgcos\theta - kr = \frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{r}) [/tex] [tex] -mg(r_0+r)sin\theta = \frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{\theta}(r_0+r)^2)[/tex]
    Which are the F=ma equation for the radial direction and the Torque = (d/dt) Angular momentum equation.

c. Confused here, if angular position and velocity are to be fixed, I assume they mean [itex] \theta [/itex] and [itex] \dot{\theta}[/itex], do I consider them both to be zero, or just a constant number? And if the position is fixed doesn't that mean that the velocity should be zero? Is this a differential equation I have to solve?

d. and e. Need c to continue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks !

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

"Fixed" means "constant." The position and velocity aren't actually fixed (so ##\dot{\theta} \ne 0##), but because the timescale over which the radial motion occurs is so short, you can analyze the motion as if ##\theta## and ##\dot{\theta}## were constant. It's an approximation.

By the way, the first term in the radial differential equation is incorrect.

4. May 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks I must have missed a (r_0 + r) factor in the first term when I was putting it into tex, I'll give it a shot with theta and theta dot as constants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted