Spring Projectile Launcher Help

In summary, the conversation is about building a device that can launch a small bouncy ball between 1-4m using a compressed spring. The speaker has tried to come up with ideas but has not been successful. They ask for help and suggest looking at a slingshot as a reference. A question is raised about constraints, specifically whether the speaker has been given a spring or can choose one.
canada123
I need to build a device that launches a small bouncy ball anywhere from 1-4m using a spring. The spring is initially compressed as much as it can be, so this device would need to work by stretching the spring somehow. I have tried to think of a few ways to do this, but have not come up with any good ideas. Do you guys have any idea how to build one? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint - look at a slingshot: two springs, initially compressed, get stretched and released.
What are your constraints - have you been given the spring or do you get to pick one?

1. How does a spring projectile launcher work?

A spring projectile launcher works by storing potential energy in a compressed spring. When the spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the projectile forward.

2. What factors affect the distance a projectile can travel with a spring launcher?

The factors that affect the distance a projectile can travel with a spring launcher include the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the mass of the projectile, and the strength and length of the spring.

3. How can I calculate the maximum height a projectile can reach with a spring launcher?

To calculate the maximum height a projectile can reach with a spring launcher, you can use the equation h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What safety precautions should I take when using a spring projectile launcher?

When using a spring projectile launcher, it is important to wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any potential projectiles. It is also important to ensure that the launcher is stable and secure before use, and to always point it in a safe direction away from people and fragile objects.

5. Can I use any type of projectile with a spring launcher?

While a spring launcher can technically launch any small object, it is recommended to use lightweight and soft projectiles such as foam balls or rubber balls to minimize the risk of injury or damage. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for recommended projectiles.