Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sputter resistant metals/materials

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    does anyone know if such a material/metal exists that will resist sputtering under extreme heat and high electrical discharge conditions (such as a 10-30kw laser). I have been reading that sputtering is a huge issue with destroying laser tubes.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Protection against back spatter from all types of welding and cutting is usually just done with simple metal shielding .

In more sophisticated applications engineering grade ceramics are commonly used .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. Feb 25, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Feb 25, 2016 #4
    Hello Nidum,

I have been reading in academic papers that in lasers they have sputter problems on the negative energy side that coats the glass tubes and causes the tubes to short out which makes it so you are constantly replacing tubes (which are not cheap). I was thinking of incorporating a ceramic shield inside the plasma tube to keep the sputter off the glass as opposed to trying to coat the negative lead in some kind of exotic metal which likely will only reduce and not eliminate the sputter anyways (plus add tons of cost to the construction due to complications of trying to plate things like iridium or osmium to an aluminum substrate).

The sputter can also coat your optics which destroys them and creates even more costs and hassle. I was reading that the sputter was only created from the negative terminal so only one side has to be shielded which is good because it would be almost impossible to shield the eye side of the laser.

6. Mar 4, 2016 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You might consider a magnet and/or a screen grid of tungsten wire to allow passage of electrons but to catch ejected ions.
    I read somewhere about ion traps for use in CRTs, X-Ray tubes and Electron Microscopes.
    Maybe start here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_trap

7. Mar 7, 2016 #6
    That is a very good idea and would be easier to make than baffled glass. Ceramics are still really expensive.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted