1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square-integrable functions as a vector space

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Show that the set of all square-integrable functions is a vector space. Is the set of all normalised functions a vector space?

(b) Show that the integral ##\int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx## satisfies the conditions for an inner product.

2. Relevant equations

The main problem is to show that the sum of two square-integrable functions is itself square-integrable.

Use Schwarz inequality: ##| \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx| \leq \sqrt{ \int^{a}_{b} |f(x)|^{2} dx \int^{a}_{b} |g(x)|^{2} dx}##

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) Let ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## be square-integrable functions. Then,

##\int^{a}_{b} | \alpha f(x) + \beta g(x)|^2 dx##

##= \int^{a}_{b} [\ | \alpha f(x) |^2 + | \beta f(x) |^2 + \alpha^{*} f(x)^{*} \beta g(x) + \alpha f(x) \beta^{*} g(x)^{*} ] dx ##

##= |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + \alpha^{*} \beta \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx + \alpha \beta^{*} \int^{a}_{b} f(x) g(x)^{*} dx ##

The first two terms are already square-integrable. So, all I have to do now is to show that the last two terms are square-integrable.

Can you suggest how I can use the Schwarz inequality over the last two terms?

P.S. : The last two terms are complex conjugates of each other, and the sum of two complex conjugates is a real number. Does it somehow prove that the last two terms form a square-integrable combination?

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The last two terms together are real. For any complex number ##z##, ##{\rm Re}(z) \leq |z|##. Then apply the Schwarz inequality.

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    Alright, here's my attempt.

Let ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## be square-integrable functions. Then,

##= \int^{a}_{b} [\ | \alpha f(x) |^2 + | \beta f(x) |^2 + \alpha^{*} f(x)^{*} \beta g(x) + \alpha f(x) \beta^{*} g(x)^{*} ] dx ##

##= |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + \alpha^{*} \beta \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx + \alpha \beta^{*} \int^{a}_{b} f(x) g(x)^{*} dx ##

##= |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + \alpha^{*} \beta \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx + ( \alpha^{*} \beta \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx )^* ##

##= |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + 2\ {\rm Re} ( \alpha^{*} \beta \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx ) ##

##\leq |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + 2\ | \alpha^{*} \beta \int^{a}_{b} f(x)^{*} g(x) dx | ##

##\leq |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + 2\ | \alpha^{*} \beta | \sqrt{ \int^{a}_{b} |f(x)|^{2} dx \int^{a}_{b} |g(x)|^{2} dx} ##

This is a combination of square-integrable functions, so that ##\alpha f(x) + \beta g(x)## is a square-integrable function.

Let ##\int^{a}_{b} |f(x)|^2 dx = 1## and ##\int^{a}_{b} |g(x)|^2 dx = 1##. Therefore,

##\leq |\alpha|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + |\beta|^2 \int^{a}_{b} | f(x) |^2 dx + 2\ | \alpha^{*} \beta | \sqrt{ \int^{a}_{b} |f(x)|^{2} dx \int^{a}_{b} |g(x)|^{2} dx} ##

##\leq |\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 + 2\ | \alpha^{*} \beta |##

##\leq |\alpha|^2 + \alpha^{*} \beta + \alpha \beta^{*} + |\beta|^2##

##\leq | \alpha + \beta |^2##.

How can this help to show that the set of all normalised functions is a vector space?

5. May 21, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This shows you that any (finite) linear combination of functions in the space is also in the space. You should check the other axioms of a vector space as well, but it is rather trivial.

6. May 21, 2015 #5
    How exactly can this show any (finite) linear combination of functions in this space is also in this space?

For one thing, I've only shown that, given ##\int^{a}_{b} |f(x)|^2 dx = 1## and ##\int^{a}_{b} |g(x)|^2 dx = 1##,

##\int^{a}_{b} | \alpha f(x) + \beta g(x)|^2 dx \leq | \alpha + \beta |^2##, not that ##\int^{a}_{b} | \alpha f(x) + \beta g(x)|^2 dx = 1##.

That does not quite prove that the set of all normalised functions form a vector space, does it (skipping the other axioms of a vector space, which are rather trivial to prove for this case)?

7. May 21, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah right, I missed the "normalised". It is trivial to shot that it is not a vector space.

8. May 21, 2015 #7
    Haven't I already shown that the set of all normalised functions is ##\textit{not}## a vector space when I proved the following:

if ##\int_{a}^{b} |f(x)|^{2} dx = 1## and ##\int_{a}^{b} |g(x)|^{2} dx = 1##, then ##\int^{a}_{b} | \alpha f(x) + \beta g(x)|^2 dx \leq | \alpha + \beta |^2##??

9. May 21, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Almost. You need to insert some values. But that is not the easiest way to prove it. The space has no zero element.

10. May 21, 2015 #9
    Right! I can see that the function ##f(x) = 0## is not normalisable.

Therefore, lacking a zero element, the set of all normalised functions do not form a vector space.

I wonder how to complete the proof using my original approach. Is this the correct way?

Let ##\alpha = 0.1## and ##\beta = 0.1##, then ##|\alpha + \beta|^2## = 0.01.

So, ##\int^{a}_{b} | \alpha f(x) + \beta g(x)|^2 dx \neq 1##.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  11. May 21, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is fine apart from that the ##|\alpha + \beta|^2## = 0.01 should be an inequality.

12. May 21, 2015 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even easier: if ##f## is normalized to 1 and ##c## is a scalar with ##|c| \neq1##, then ##c f## is not normalized to 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted