Square of the sum of two orthonormal functions?

In summary: No, this is not right. It only makes the resulting values positive, not the individual function values. The square does the same.
Boltzman Oscillation

Homework Statement

Given:
Ψ and Φ are orthonormal find
(Ψ + Φ)^2

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they are orthonormal functions then can i do this?

(Ψ + Φ) = (Ψ + Φ)(Ψ* + Φ*)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Boltzman Oscillation said:

Homework Statement

Given:
Ψ and Φ are orthonormal find
(Ψ + Φ)^2

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they are orthonormal functions then can i do this?

(Ψ + Φ) = (Ψ + Φ)(Ψ* + Φ*)?
Yes. Now go ahead. Multiply it and apply what you know.

fresh_42 said:
Yes. Now go ahead. Multiply it and apply what you know.

Oh goodie!
ΨΨ* + ΦΦ* + ΨΦ* + Ψ*Ψ
The dot product of two orthonormal functions is 0. The dot product of two equal functions is 1.

1 + 1 + 0 + 0 = 2

Likes Delta2 and fresh_42
There are some typos in this thread, most important one is that we want to find
##|\Psi+\Phi|^2## not just ##(\Psi+\Phi)^2## , right?

Does the squaring operation indicate scalar/vector/etc. multiplication, or does it indicate the inner product under which you have orthonormality? After all, ## \sin n\pi x ## and ## \sin m\pi x ## for ## m\ne n ## are orthogonal (and also normal with the appropriate coefficient), and:
## {(\sin n\pi x + \sin m\pi x)^2} = {(\sin n\pi x + \sin m\pi x)^*}(\sin n\pi x + \sin m\pi x) = {\left| {\sin n\pi x} \right|^2} + {\left| {\sin m\pi x} \right|^2} + {(\sin m\pi x)^*}\sin n\pi x + {(\sin n\pi x)^*}\sin m\pi x ##

I apologize if my pedantry glosses over some context, but I'm just trying to be careful.

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
There are some typos in this thread, most important one is that we want to find
##|\Psi+\Phi|^2## not just ##(\Psi+\Phi)^2## , right?
Yes. I was asked to normalize and equation and it contained two orthonormal functions. I forgot how important the absolute value is.

I forgot how important the absolute value is.
Technically, it is not the absolute value which counts! It is only a common indication, that ##\psi \chi = \langle \psi , \chi \rangle## is meant to be the multiplication. One could as well simply define the multiplication given by the inner product and then no absolute value would be necessary. So it's the way the square has to be interpreted which counts, not the shape of the brackets.

fresh_42 said:
Technically, it is not the absolute value which counts! It is only a common indication, that ##\psi \chi = \langle \psi , \chi \rangle## is meant to be the multiplication. One could as well simply define the multiplication given by the inner product and then no absolute value would be necessary. So it's the way the square has to be interpreted which counts, not the shape of the brackets.
I thought the absolute value's function was to make every section of the function positive so that the integral over that function doesn't cancel out. Kinda like taking the energy of a wave. Right?

I thought the absolute value's function was to make every section of the function positive so that the integral over that function doesn't cancel out. Kinda like taking the energy of a wave. Right?
No, this is not right. It only makes the resulting values positive, not the individual function values. The square does the same.

The point is, that - normally - ##|\psi + \chi|^2=\langle \psi + \chi, \psi + \chi \rangle## and ##(\psi + \chi)^2= \psi^2 + \psi \chi + \chi \psi + \chi^2## where the former leads to a scalar as result and the latter to another function. In cases where the latter doesn't exist or isn't defined, resp. given, then only the former is left as possibility. By the way you stated the question, it is automatically implied that we are talking about the inner product, simply because no other product was available.

1. What is the definition of "Square of the sum of two orthonormal functions"?

The square of the sum of two orthonormal functions refers to the mathematical operation of multiplying the sum of two orthonormal functions by itself. In other words, it is the product of the sum of two orthonormal functions with itself.

2. How do you calculate the square of the sum of two orthonormal functions?

To calculate the square of the sum of two orthonormal functions, you first need to add the two functions together. Then, you multiply the resulting sum by itself. This can be represented by the equation (f+g)^2 = (f+g)(f+g).

3. What is the significance of orthonormal functions in this context?

Orthonormal functions are important in this context because they have a special property where their inner product is equal to 0, except when the two functions are the same. This allows for easier calculations and simplification of equations.

4. What are some examples of orthonormal functions?

Some common examples of orthonormal functions include the sine and cosine functions, the Legendre polynomials, and the Hermite polynomials. Other examples include the Fourier basis functions and the Walsh basis functions.

5. What are some applications of the square of the sum of two orthonormal functions?

The square of the sum of two orthonormal functions has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in Fourier analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving differential equations and in the study of orthogonal polynomials.