Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root of volume in fourier expansion of the vector potential

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    Hi. I just wondered why we use a [itex] 1/\sqrt{V}[/itex] in the fourier expansion of the vector potential. A regular 3 dimensional fourier expansion is just

[tex] f(\vec r) = \sum_{\vec k} c_\vec{k} e^{i \vec k \cdot \vec r}[/tex]

but as the solution to the equation

[tex] (\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial t^2} - \nabla^2 ) \vec A(\vec r,t) = 0[/tex]

one usually writes

[tex] \vec A(\vec r,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}\sum_{\vec k} \vec A_{0 \vec{k}}(t) e^{i \vec k \cdot \vec r}.[/tex]

What is the reason for this? Doesn't this also screw up the dimension of the euation when [itex]\vec A_{0 \vec k}[/itex] already has the same dimension as the vector potential since the plane wave solutions are

[tex] \vec A_{0 \vec k}(t) e^{i \vec k \cdot \vec r}?[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

It is just a convention. Perhaps you came across it in a book on quantum theory of radiation, where it is sometimes used because it leads to expression of the Poynting energy of the field in the box V in which V does not appear.

If we used the standard convention

[tex]
    \vec A(\vec r,t) = \sum_{\vec k} \vec A_{0 \vec{k}}(t) e^{i \vec k \cdot \vec r},
    [/tex]

the integration over volume would introduce the prefactor V in the total Poynting energy.

The dimension of [itex]\vec A(\vec r,t)[/itex] stays the same as in the standard convention, but the dimension of [itex]\vec A_{0\vec k}[/itex] is [itex][ A(\vec r,t) ] \mathrm{m}^{3/2} [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook