Stability Order of resonating structures

In summary, there is a disagreement between the speaker and the book regarding the stability order of the resonance structures for vinyl chloride. The speaker believes it should be I>III>II based on the lack of charge on I and the presence of a positively charged and electronegative element on II. However, the book states that the correct order is I>II>III. The discussion also touches on the number of electrons in the valence shell of Cl in III, which the speaker notes to be 10, despite the maximum being 8. The possibility of III being a permissible resonance structure is also questioned.
randomgamernerd
I have uploaded the picture of the structures because I couldn't figure out how to type.
Its vinyl chloride.
15314715716633361855743515196350.jpg

According to me the order should be
I>III>II
because I has no charge so it must be most stable
in II we have Cl an electronegative element bearing positive charge which makes it unstable.
Hence I get the order.
But the book says the order is I>II>III
Please Help

Attachments

• 15314715716633361855743515196350.jpg
    15314715716633361855743515196350.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,266
Chemistry news on Phys.org
How many electrons are in the valence shell of the Cl in III?

mjc123 said:
How many electrons are in the valence shell of the Cl in III?
apparently 10how is that possibleit can hold at max 8 if I'm not wrong

So III is not a permissible resonance structure according to the ordinary rules.

1. What is the stability order of resonating structures?

The stability order of resonating structures is a way of ranking different resonance forms of a molecule in terms of their stability. It helps determine which form is most dominant and contributes the most to the overall structure of the molecule.

2. How is the stability order of resonating structures determined?

The stability order is determined by various factors such as the number of covalent bonds, the electronegativity of the atoms, and the positioning of the atoms within the molecule. The more stable the resonance form is, the lower its energy and the more it contributes to the overall structure.

3. Why is it important to know the stability order of resonating structures?

Knowing the stability order helps in understanding the electronic structure of a molecule and predicting its reactivity. It also allows for the identification of the major contributing resonance form, which is crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of the molecule.

4. Can the stability order change in different molecules?

Yes, the stability order can vary in different molecules depending on their structure and electronic configuration. It is important to determine the stability order for each molecule individually rather than assuming a general trend.

5. How can the stability order of resonating structures be experimentally determined?

The stability order can be experimentally determined by measuring the energy of the different resonance forms using techniques such as UV-Vis spectroscopy or X-ray crystallography. It can also be predicted using computational methods such as molecular orbital theory.