Standard entropy of liquid lead at 500C?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
magnesium12
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The standard entropy of lead at 25C is S(298)=64.80 J/Kmol.
The heat capacity of solid lead is Cp(s) = 22.13 + .01172T + 0.96x105T-2.
The heat capacity of liquid lead is Cp(l) = 32.51 - 0.00301T
Melting point is 327.4C
Heat of fusion is 4770J/mol.
Calculate the standard entropy of liquid lead at 500C.

Homework Equations


ΔS(500) = S(298) + ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT + ΔHfus/T + ∫(Cp(l)/T)dT
ΔS(500) = ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT + ΔHfus/T + ∫(Cp(l)/T)dT

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm just wondering which equation to use?
At first I thought the equation was just ΔS(500) = ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT + ΔHfus/T + ∫(Cp(l)/T)dT but the question includes the standard entropy at 25C, so do I have to account for that too by using ΔS(500) = S(298) + ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT + ΔHfus/T + ∫(Cp(l)/T)dT? But shouldn't the initial entropy not matter since entropy is a state function?
And if I do have to account for entropy at 25C, does that entropy stay the same up to the melting point so I wouldn't need to account for the ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT
 
Physics news on Phys.org
magnesium12 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm just wondering which equation to use?
At first I thought the equation was just ΔS(500) = ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT + ΔHfus/T + ∫(Cp(l)/T)dT but the question includes the standard entropy at 25C, so do I have to account for that too by using ΔS(500) = S(298) + ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT + ΔHfus/T + ∫(Cp(l)/T)dT?
Yes.
But shouldn't the initial entropy not matter since entropy is a state function?
When you are talking about the "standard entropy," you are talking about the change in entropy from the state of pure elements comprising the compound at 25 C.
And if I do have to account for entropy at 25C, does that entropy stay the same up to the melting point so I wouldn't need to account for the ∫(Cp(s)/T)dT
What would make you think this?