1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Matrix for an orthogonal projection transformation

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    Let T:R^2 -> R^2 be the linear transformation that projects an R^2 vector (x,y) orthogonally onto (-2,4). Find the standard matrix for T.

I understand how to find a standard transformation matrix, I just don't really know what it's asking for. Is the transformation just (x-2, y+4)? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Also, sorry for the formatting, I'm on my phone.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you define an orthogonal projection? If (-2, 4) is in the range, what would a vector of its null space look like?

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can do this pretty much by "brute strength". Since these vectors are in R2, your matrix is 2 by 2 and looks like
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and, because this is a projection onto [-2, 4], maps [-2, 4] to itself:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 4\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-2a+ 4b \\ -2c+ 4d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so that -2a+ 4b= -2 and -2c+ 4p= 4. We can immediately divide by 2 to get -a+ 2b= -1 and -c+ 2d= 2.

Also, because this is an orthogonal projection, [4, 2], perpendicular to [-2, 4], must be mapped to 0.
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}4 \\ 2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}4a+ 2b \\ 4a+ 2d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so 4a+ 2b= 0 and 4c+ 2d= 0. We can again divide by 2 to get 2a+ b= 0 and 2c+ d= 0.

Solve the four equations -a+ 2b= -1, -c+ 2d= 2, 2a+ b= 0, and 2c+ d= 0 for a, b, c, and d.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. Nov 21, 2012 #4
    Let's let [itex]v[/itex] be the normalised version of your vector (ie, divide your vector by its norm.) Now, if you have some vector [itex]w[/itex] and you want the projection onto [itex]v[/itex] then (as you probably know) this is just equal to [itex](v^\top w)v[/itex] (since the norm of [itex]v[/itex] is 1.) But this is equal to [itex]v(v^\top w)=(vv^\top)w[/itex]. Now, from this can you figure out how to form the projection?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook