1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard normal limiting function chi squared

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have a question

If X1,X2,...,Xn are independent random variables having chi-square distribution witn v=1 and Yn=X1+X2+...+Xn, then the limiting distribution of

(Yn/n) - 1
    Z= --------------- as n->infinity is the standard normal distribution.
    sqrt(2/n)

I know that Yn has chi-square distribution with v=n, but how to proceed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    I read this post on physics forum but no one had answered it. I finally found an answer and thought I should share it. The methodology might seem obvious - using the method of MGF (moment generating functions).

The MGF of Y is that of a chi-squared distribution with n degrees of freedom:
    (1-2t)^(-n/2).

Applying the transformation Y --> Z will give you an MGF of Z of
    e^(-√(n/2) t) (1-√(2/n) t)^(-n/2).

Now, this is the million dollar question: you will have to use the series ln⁡(1+x)=x-1/2 x^2+1/3 x^3+⋯.

This will help you simplify to an MGF of e^(1/2t^2) which is the mgf of a standard normal curve.

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is nothing new to prove: this is just an application of the Central Limit Theorem. There is nothing special about chi-squared here: the result holds for any distribution having finite mean and variance, and the proof (using MGF) is almost the same.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook