1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing waves in a funny Potential distribution

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The description of the potential distribution is given in the attached image.
    The particle arrives from the left with E>V0.

write the solutions to the S.E in regions x<o and x between o and a

2. Relevant equations
    I believe psi(x)= e^ikx+Re^-ikx in x<0
    and psi(x)=Ae^iqx+Be^-iqx for x b/w o and a.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is, since there is complete reflection occuring at x=a, can A=B in region x b/w 0 and a? If so, there will be destructive interference in the region, giving R=1, which is what we are asked to prove in the question. Is this approach of equating coefficients of wave traveling in +-x directions in this region applicable?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

The potential:
    V=0 for x<0
    V=V0 for 0<x<a
    V->infinity for x>a
    You have one boundary condition at x=a that relates A and B. You have two boundary conditions at x=0 that relate A, B and R. Once you have determined k and q (which I'm assuming you know how to do), then I believe you simply apply these boundary conditions.

4. Dec 19, 2008 #3
    thanks turin, I understand the problem well. My question is regarding the relation of the coefficients, A and B; with the respective intensities.

Since R=1 at x=a, I would immediately assume that B=A
    instead of having to use Boundary conditions to find coefficients.
    Would this be correct logic?

5. Dec 19, 2008 #4

turin

Homework Helper

No. You're contradicting yourself. You specified R for x<0, and now you want to talk about R at x=a, which doesn't even make sense, unless this is somehow a different R than the coefficient of the exponential that you originally gave. It's been a while since I solved one of these problems, so I can't remember if it should turn out that A=B is, in fact true; however, your logic to arrive at this conclusion is flawed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?