Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

In summary, the teaser trailer has been released and I'm carefully optimistic. They're primarily going for classical practical effects as opposed to the CGI nightmare that gave us the unmentionable who shall not be mentioned. I put my faith in JJ. I think he's a good director. It does have a retro feel which I think is good.
Absolutely loved it, seeng it again this weekend.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not seen it yet (even though I am a big fan of the original trilogy), I will probably not see it until after Christmas. Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it, judging from what I've heard I think I will enjoy it too.
Orodruin said:
The only bad thing with having seen it is that you have to bite your tounge when you talk to people who have not. Yesterday was a difficult day.
I can imagine :smile:.

This was the most fun I've had at a movie in a long time. I just saw it a second time today and want to go see it for a third time. It felt like I was 7 years old and seeing the originals for the first time again.

I saw it on Sunday. I really like the new characters. I kinda wish the old ones had less screen time. And I didn't quite understand the political situation...I feel like they could have spent the opening crawl filling in some necessary background information about what the conflict is, rather than talking about Luke Skywalker. (Indeed, there was never any mention of why it is so important to find Luke Skywalker.)

It felt like this movie was mostly exposition, and the actual story didn't pick up till near the end. But I have high expectations of the next movie.

Likes Ryan_m_b and micromass
CodaPop.jpg

Star Wars 2.jpg

Likes DennisN
Finally, I watched SW Ep7 (Force Awakens) on bluray (for the first time -- I refuse now to pay for cinema tickets to watch SW -- the Ewoks killed it for me back in ep6.).

What can I say? Only this: :oldruck:

And is there any more incompetent actor in the entire world than John Boyega (Finn)??
I didn't believe a word out of him.

At least Harrison Ford seemed to be genuinely making an effort.
But Carrie Fisher [:oldcry:] seemed to be phoning it in.

strangerep said:
Finally, I watched SW Ep7 (Force Awakens) on bluray (for the first time -- I refuse now to pay for cinema tickets to watch SW -- the Ewoks killed it for me back in ep6.).

What can I say? Only this: :oldruck:

And is there any more incompetent actor in the entire world than John Boyega (Finn)??
I didn't believe a word out of him.

At least Harrison Ford seemed to be genuinely making an effort.
But Carrie Fisher [:oldcry:] seemed to be phoning it in.
It was the same as A New Hope. It was not just to induce nostalgia, they actually copied crucial plot points.

Interesting. Ep. IV was a New Hope for the first three. Ep. VII is a New Hope for the second three.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Interesting. Ep. IV was a New Hope for the first three. Ep. VII is a New Hope for the second three.
Watch the honest trailer Force awakens borrows too many things from A New Hope

Where did I say it didn't?

Likes Kumar8434
Kumar8434 said:
[Force Awakens] was the same as A New Hope. [...]
And yet, when I watched a TV re-run of "A New Hope" (for the umpteenth time), I still enjoyed it and watched to the end.

The new SW management copies the form, but not the soul.

Likes Bystander
Likewise, I'm expecting the next movie "The Last Jedi" to be a copy of The Empire Strikes Back. This time, it will be Old Luke Skywalker taking the place of Master Yoda, while Rey is in place of young Luke Skywalker. And yet, I'm worried that this reproduction will again leave out crucial elements that lack the soul of the original.

Do you remember how in the original ESB, Luke's skepticism of the Force prevented him from truly embracing its power - and there was that superb scene with Yoda raising the X-Wing to the amazement of the skeptical Luke? That was one of the best scenes in the entire series.

I wonder if we'll get something as magnificent and as meaningful in the upcoming movie. That would be hard to top.

Last edited:
Likes ISamson
sanman said:
[...] it will be Old Luke Skywalker taking the place of Master Yoda, [...]
Hmmm, I wonder.

I would have thought Old Luke would be more like the well-meaning, but flawed, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Honest trailers named Force awakens 'Star wars: A familiar hope' lol. It was almost a remake but it sure was entertaining. I think the next two movies should be original. I'll lose interest if they remake again.

Kumar8434 said:
Honest trailers named Force awakens 'Star wars: A familiar hope' lol. It was almost a remake but it sure was entertaining. I think the next two movies should be original. I'll lose interest if they remake again.
I go to movies for fun, not for continuity. YMMV

Noisy Rhysling said:
I go to movies for fun, not for continuity. YMMV
Force awakens was fun but fun-movies can only mint money, it'll not be remembered like the original trilogy. But I'm sure they won't remake ESB.

Kumar8434 said:
Force awakens was fun but fun-movies can only mint money, it'll not be remembered like the original trilogy. But I'm sure they won't remake ESB.
In Hollywood you're only as good as your last movie. This stifles creativity so we wind up making twelve versions of "Sleepy Hollow" or some such.

As for the original three, other than the visual I saw little to excite me.

Too much money is invested in modern Hollywood sci-fi films for directors to have any real creative freedom. That doesn't mean the movies can't be good, but it stops directors from taking big risks and creative leaps. I miss the days of Kubrick and Lucas when films were art and directors were just artists working on their craft.

Or when Speilberg faked the Moon landing, but demanded to shoot on location.