State Space Control Theory Controllability/Observability

• Thread starter ccmuggs13
  • Start date
I'm studying for an upcoming final and this is a question from a practice exam we were given. It looks simple but for some reason I just can't wrap my brain around it. The question is attached and gives a state space representation of a system (A, B, C matrices) and asks what part of the system is controllable, observable, both and neither. It is clear from the zeros in the B and C matrices that the system as a whole is neither controllable nor observable, but I am not entirely sure what it means as far as the "parts" of the system that are controllable or observable.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

donpacino
Gold Member
It is clear from the zeros in the B and C matrices that the system as a whole is neither controllable nor observable, but I am not entirely sure what it means as far as the "parts" of the system that are controllable or observable.
A system can be 100% controllable with some of the B matrix being zero.
the same can be said for a system with some of the C matrix being zero.

why dont you start by computing the controlability and observability matrices.