1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

States with minimum energy for electrons in mag field with nonzero Lz

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For an electron in a uniform magnetic field, say [itex]B\hat{z}[/itex] with no angular momentum, the Hamiltonian can be expressed as [itex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m}\Big(\hat{p}_x^2+\frac{mω^2}{2}\hat{x}^2\Big)+\frac{1}{2m}\Big(\hat{p}_y^2+\frac{mω^2}{2}\hat{y}^2\Big)[/itex]

Which is equivalent to two separate harmonic oscillators.

Now the ground state is [itex]Ψ=Ne^{\frac{mω}{\hbar}r^2}[/itex]

where [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] and [itex]ω=ω_B/2=eB/2mc[/itex]

which yields energy equal to [itex]\hbarω[/itex]

Now there are other states with nonzero angular momentum [itex]L_z[/itex] which yield the same energy. Those states are [itex]Ψ_n=Nr^ne^{inφ}e^{\frac{mω}{\hbar}r^2}[/itex]

(n is not the quantum number)

The question is to prove that [itex]\hat{H}Ψ_n=\frac{\hbarω_B}{2}Ψ_n[/itex]

since [itex]Ψ_n[/itex] is also an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian.

My question is, how do we prove that? I tried using the Hamiltonian with polar coordinates but I can't seem to get to the result.

Is there any other way (using the creation/annihilation operators)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try simply staying in cartesian coordinates and applying the hamiltonian?

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4
    Yes, it's still a mess.

By the way, the correct ground state is [itex]Ψ=Ne^{-\frac{mω}{ℏ}r^2}[/itex] (forgot a minus). I can't see the edit button any more...

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I did not notice your ## \phi## dependence on the one you must check.
    Then you must use polar coordinates (you are working in two dimensions, right?).
    You need ## \nabla^2 ## in polar coordinates. Once you reexpress the hamltonian in polar coordinates, it should be easy to check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted