Static and Kinetic Friction vs Normal Reaction Graphing

In summary, the speaker is unsure how to determine the uncertainty for the slope on a graph of static friction against normal reaction. They mention that their data has an uncertainty of +/- 0.0001, but this is too small for them to accurately draw the slope on the graph. They are seeking help in order to write a formal report and clarify how the uncertainty of +/- 0.0001 was determined for both normal force and static friction, as well as the methods used to measure these variables.
JessiLim
How do i suppose to determine the uncertainty for the slope of my Static friction against normal reaction graph?
My data for static friction and normal force has the uncertainty of +/- 0.0001
The uncertainty is too small for me to draw airbox/bar in the graph to draw the max and min slope.
Please do help me as this is my first time to write a formal report.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you determine the uncertainty of +/- 0.0001 for both normal force and static friction? How did you measure the normal force? How did you measure the static friction? We need to know this in order to answer your question.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and increases as the applied force increases.

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object when it is already in motion. It is typically less than static friction and is constant regardless of the applied force.

What is normal reaction?

Normal reaction is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied by the object on the surface.

How do static and kinetic friction differ?

Static friction prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction acts on an object that is already in motion. Static friction increases as the applied force increases, while kinetic friction remains constant regardless of the applied force.

How is the graph of static and kinetic friction vs normal reaction related?

The graph of static and kinetic friction vs normal reaction shows the relationship between the forces acting on an object. It typically shows that static friction increases with normal reaction until a maximum value is reached, while kinetic friction remains constant regardless of the normal reaction.