Static Equilibrium: A 1380 N uniform boom of length ℓ is supported by a cable

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
sb42
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1380 N uniform boom of length ℓ is supported by a cable, as shown. The boom is pivoted at the bottom, the cable is attached a distance 3/4ℓ from the pivot, and a 3604N weight hangs from the boom’s top. Find the tension of the cable.

here is a picture of the diagram
24.media.tumblr(dot)com/tumblr_m3f8sxRH7H1qdg2z1o1_400.jpg[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations



I know that the sum of the forces in the x direction is 0 and the sum of the forces in the y direction is also 0. I am having issues understanding this concept and I don't understand how to even start this.

The Attempt at a Solution



Ive tried buy getting the forces in the x and y direction but it seems as though I should be able to find the tension of the cable without finding these first. One thing that is throwing me off is the fact they don't give and actual length to the rod.
Any help would be appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the actual question? Find the tension in the cable?
 
You should be able to find it fairly easily if you sum of the torques in the system. This should give you a solvable system of equations. They give you the length of the rod, it's total length is L.