1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium - board problem

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A meter stick balances horizontally on a knife-edge at the 50.0 cm mark. With two 5.0 g stacked over the 12.0 cm mark, the stick is found to balance at the 45.5 cm mark. What is the mass of the meter stick?

2. Relevant equations

netF = 0
    netTorque = 0
    The answer is 74 g

3. The attempt at a solution

I know there is an upward force exerted by the knife, a downward force exerted by the weight of the coins, and another downward force exerted by gravity acting on the meter stick itself, which I originally thought was at the .5 mark.

Does there need to be a second upward force at the .445 m mark, or is that where I put my pivot point?

This shouldn't be a hard problem, but I don't think I really understand how the force diagram should look.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Seraph! :smile:

I think the question is slightly misleading.

It intends you to assume that there is only one knife-edge, and it is moved to the .445 m mark.

So the only force you need worry about at the .5 m mark is the weight of the stick. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?