Static Equilibrium Door Problem

In summary, this conversation discusses a door, the forces exerted on it by the hinges, and how to calculate the force. The correct answer is 99N at 27 degrees right of vertical at the top and at 27 degrees left of vertical at the bottom. I think I am having so much trouble getting to this correct answer because I keep finding the force that the hinges exert on the door rather than the force that the DOOR exerts on the HINGES. Any help is sincerely appreciated!
elianaphys

Homework Statement

A door made of a uniform piece of wood measures 1 m by 2 m and has a mass of 18kg. The door is entirely supported by two hinges, one at the bottom corner and one at the top corner. Find the force (magnitude and direction) that the door exerts on each hinge. Assume that the vertical force on each hinge is the same.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.5m*18kg*g-2m*F2=0
9mkg*g-2m*F2=0
F2=9mkg*g/2m
F2=44.145N

This is the incorrect answer. The correct answer is 99N at 27 degrees right of vertical at the top and at 27 degrees left of vertical at the bottom. I think I am having so much trouble getting to this correct answer because I keep finding the force that the hinges exert on the door rather than the force that the DOOR exerts on the HINGES. I'm very stuck.

FYI, I'm taking this through an online course and have thus have no instructor--just me and a textbook! Any help is sincerely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to take into account torque as well, this is why they gave you the dimensions of the door.

Xisune said:
You have to take into account torque as well, this is why they gave you the dimensions of the door.
He did take into account the torque, as is apparent from his equations. However, he only included the horizontal component of force, and not the vertical component. He needs to include the vertical component in order to calculate the overall magnitude of the force.

elianaphys said:

Homework Statement

A door made of a uniform piece of wood measures 1 m by 2 m and has a mass of 18kg. The door is entirely supported by two hinges, one at the bottom corner and one at the top corner. Find the force (magnitude and direction) that the door exerts on each hinge. Assume that the vertical force on each hinge is the same.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.5m*18kg*g-2m*F2=0
9mkg*g-2m*F2=0
F2=9mkg*g/2m
F2=44.145N

This is the incorrect answer. The correct answer is 99N at 27 degrees right of vertical at the top and at 27 degrees left of vertical at the bottom. I think I am having so much trouble getting to this correct answer because I keep finding the force that the hinges exert on the door rather than the force that the DOOR exerts on the HINGES. I'm very stuck.

FYI, I'm taking this through an online course and have thus have no instructor--just me and a textbook! Any help is sincerely appreciated!

You got F2 which is pulling the door the right/left depending on the layout.
There's another force exerted on the hinge by the weight of the door.

There are 3 ways of distributing the weight of the door on the hinges.
1. Hanging from the top, no force exerted on lower hinge
2. Pivotal at the botton hinge, no force exerted on the upper hinge.
3. Equallly shared.

Last edited:

I would first like to clarify the concept of static equilibrium. In this problem, static equilibrium refers to the state in which the door is not moving or rotating, and all the forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the sum of all the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions must be equal to zero.

Now, let's address the issue you mentioned about finding the force that the door exerts on the hinges rather than the other way around. This is a common mistake and can be easily resolved by applying Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by the door on the hinge is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the hinge on the door.

To solve this problem, we can use the principle of moments, which states that for an object to be in static equilibrium, the sum of the moments (torques) acting on it must be equal to zero. In this case, we can take moments about the bottom hinge, as it is the point where the door rotates.

Using the equation for moments, we can write:

F1 x 2m - (18kg x 9.8m/s^2 x 1m/2) = 0

Where F1 is the force exerted by the top hinge on the door. Solving for F1, we get:

F1 = 88.2N

Since the vertical forces on each hinge are equal, the magnitude of the force exerted by the bottom hinge on the door is also 88.2N. However, the direction of this force is opposite to that of the top hinge, as mentioned earlier. Therefore, the force exerted by the bottom hinge on the door is 88.2N at 27 degrees left of vertical.

In conclusion, the force that the door exerts on each hinge is 88.2N at 27 degrees right of vertical at the top hinge and 88.2N at 27 degrees left of vertical at the bottom hinge. It is important to note that the direction of the force is always relative to the hinge, not the door. I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the "Static Equilibrium Door Problem"?

The "Static Equilibrium Door Problem" is a physics problem that involves determining the forces acting on a door in order to keep it in a state of equilibrium, or balance. This problem is often used to demonstrate the principles of rotational equilibrium and torque.

2. How is the Static Equilibrium Door Problem solved?

The Static Equilibrium Door Problem is solved by setting up a free body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on the door. The sum of the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions, as well as the sum of the torques, must equal zero in order for the door to be in equilibrium. By setting up and solving the equations based on these principles, the unknown forces can be determined.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving the Static Equilibrium Door Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Static Equilibrium Door Problem include the principles of rotational equilibrium, torque, and the vector nature of forces. It is also important to understand how to set up a free body diagram and apply Newton's laws of motion.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the Static Equilibrium Door Problem?

Yes, the principles used to solve the Static Equilibrium Door Problem have real-life applications in engineering and architecture. For example, these principles are used in the design of structures and machines to ensure that they are in a state of equilibrium and can withstand external forces.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving the Static Equilibrium Door Problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving the Static Equilibrium Door Problem include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the door, not considering the vector nature of forces, and not properly setting up the equations based on the principles of equilibrium and torque. It is important to double check all calculations and ensure that the equations are set up correctly in order to get the correct solution.