1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium force problem

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    What force must be exerted by the wind to support a 2.5 kg chicken in the position where one leg is touching the ground 9 cm from the center of mass, the other is up in the air Irrelevant to this problem.
    I know the sum of the torque must be equil to zero, but if the force due to the wind is horizontal and the other forces are vertical..can they be set equal to each other? how?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There should be at least 4 forces:
    The Normal Force

I'd guess you forgot one or two of them.
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    I am still lost in this problem and have another for you
  5. Nov 15, 2006 #4
    The same topic...
    a) What force must the woman in the figure above exert on the floor with each hand to do a push-up? Assume that she moves up at a constant speed.
    Fhand =

b) The triceps muscle in the back of her upper arm has an effective lever arm of 1.75 cm, and she exerts force on the floor a horizontal distance of 20 cm from the elbow joint. What is the force in her triceps muscle?
    Fmuscle =
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?