Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static equilibrium of a window washer

1. Oct 26, 2010 #1
    I was given 2 problems based on statics and I was wondering if anyone could help.
    Thank you - we just learned the concepts of statics TODAY and were given an assignment immediately, so any help would be appreciated.

A window washer attempts to lean a ladder against a frictionless wall. He finds that the ladder slips on the ground when it is placed at an angle of less than 75◦ to the ground but remains in place when the angle is greater than 75◦. Find the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground

I know that:
    To be static, Torque - F(r)sinthetha and that Torque(net) = 0
    Coefficient of static friction = F(friction) / Normal
    I think I might have to split it into components...

AND

Estimate the magnitude of the force F an average person must apply to a wheelchair’s main wheel to roll up over a sidewalk curb. This main wheel, which is the one that comes in contact with the curb, has a radius r, and the height of the curb is h.

I always have trouble with estimation problems. I don't know where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

First thing: make a drawing: the ladder with the ground and the wall for the first problem and slope and wheelchair for the second problem. Find and draw all forces (make a free-body diagram). Find the sum of both the horizontal and vertical force components. Find the net torque. All the sums are zero. Solve the system of equations.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook