What Factors Determine the Stability of a Ladder Against a Frictionless Wall?

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics assignment on statics and friction. They are given two problems, one involving the coefficient of static friction and the other involving estimation. The student is unsure of how to approach the problems but is advised to start by drawing a free body diagram and applying relevant equations. They are also encouraged to start a separate thread for the second problem.
goldentrinket

Homework Statement

we just learned the concepts of statics TODAY and were given an assignment immediately, so any help would be appreciated.

A window washer attempts to lean a ladder against a frictionless wall. He finds that the ladder slips on the ground when it is placed at an angle of less than 75◦ to the ground but remains in place when the angle is greater than 75◦. Find the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground

AND

Estimate the magnitude of the force F an average person must apply to a wheelchair’s main wheel to roll up over a sidewalk curb. This main wheel, which is the one that comes in contact with the curb, has a radius r, and the height of the curb is h.

I always have trouble with estimation problems. I don't know where to begin.

Homework Equations

I know that:
To be static, torque - F(r)sinthetha and that Torque(net) = 0
Coefficient of static friction = F(friction) / Normal

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might need tosplit it into components and set Fnet(x) and Fnet(y) to 0.
I need to find N and Ffriction to find Uk...

For the second question, I don't know where to start. I was never good at estimation problems.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums.
goldentrinket;2954322 [h2 said:
Homework Equations[/h2]

I know that:
To be static, torque - F(r)sinthetha and that Torque(net) = 0
Coefficient of static friction = F(friction) / Normal

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might need tosplit it into components and set Fnet(x) and Fnet(y) to 0.
I need to find N and Ffriction to find Uk...
After drawing a free body diagram, yes, you look at force components and set Fx,net=0 and Fy,net=0.

That gives you two equations. For a third equation, you set Torquenet=0 as well.

For the second question, I don't know where to start. I was never good at estimation problems.
I recommend starting a separate thread to ask this, since this is a separate, unrelated question. Start by drawing a free body diagram.

Related to What Factors Determine the Stability of a Ladder Against a Frictionless Wall?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which occurs between two objects that are not moving relative to each other, kinetic friction, which occurs between two objects that are in motion relative to each other, and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a friction force sensor, which measures the amount of force needed to move an object across a surface.

4. What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by several factors, including the type of materials the objects are made of, the roughness of their surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the objects together.

5. How is friction useful in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in our everyday lives, from allowing us to walk and drive on surfaces without slipping to helping us grip and manipulate objects. It also helps to slow down objects in motion, making it easier to control and stop them.