1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Friction Coefficient Problems

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are 2 questions in the attachments both with the same scenario I'm having troubles with.

2. Relevant equations

f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the budging force between the 2 masses and that was about 4. I don't know where to go from there to find the acceleration.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Afraid I'm no help since I picked an answer for part 1 which does not correspond to any of the choices for answers in part 2.

Anyone else?

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3
    there is still one answer choice that isn't shown. couldn't get it in the screen shot

5. Feb 27, 2013 #4
    What was the last answer choice? (for both problems)

You've already worked out the maximum frictional force that can be on the 2kg object - 4N.
    Since this is the only horizontal force on the object, then this is also the maximum net force on it.
    So, just use F=ma to get the maximum acceleration.

( If this is not the hidden answer, then I will have to rethink it ).

6. Feb 27, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But 4N is not the F shown on the picture. (I agree it's the force on the 2 kg block.)

I picked one of the visible answers for part 1 but not for part 2 so my hope is for the remaining choice of part 2 to be my answer.

We need those last two answers jklops!

7. Feb 27, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

ap123 wrote that his / her answer for the acceleration corresponded to a force of 4N on the top block.
    jklops686, what do you get for F?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted