Static Friction Coefficient Problems

In summary, The conversation is about a physics problem with two parts involving finding the acceleration using the equation f=ma. One person has already found the maximum frictional force and suggests using F=ma to solve for the maximum acceleration. Another person is unable to provide help as they have chosen an answer for part 1 that does not match any of the choices for part 2. There is still one answer choice remaining and the conversation ends with a request for that answer.
jklops686

Homework Statement

There are 2 questions in the attachments both with the same scenario I'm having troubles with.

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the budging force between the 2 masses and that was about 4. I don't know where to go from there to find the acceleration.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 354
  • question2.jpg
    question2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
Afraid I'm no help since I picked an answer for part 1 which does not correspond to any of the choices for answers in part 2.

Anyone else?

rude man said:
Afraid I'm no help since I picked an answer for part 1 which does not correspond to any of the choices for answers in part 2.

Anyone else?

there is still one answer choice that isn't shown. couldn't get it in the screen shot

What was the last answer choice? (for both problems)

You've already worked out the maximum frictional force that can be on the 2kg object - 4N.
Since this is the only horizontal force on the object, then this is also the maximum net force on it.
So, just use F=ma to get the maximum acceleration.

( If this is not the hidden answer, then I will have to rethink it ).

ap123 said:
What was the last answer choice? (for both problems)

You've already worked out the maximum frictional force that can be on the 2kg object - 4N.
Since this is the only horizontal force on the object, then this is also the maximum net force on it.
So, just use F=ma to get the maximum acceleration.

( If this is not the hidden answer, then I will have to rethink it ).

But 4N is not the F shown on the picture. (I agree it's the force on the 2 kg block.)

I picked one of the visible answers for part 1 but not for part 2 so my hope is for the remaining choice of part 2 to be my answer.

We need those last two answers jklops!

rude man said:
But 4N is not the F shown on the picture.
ap123 wrote that his / her answer for the acceleration corresponded to a force of 4N on the top block.
jklops686, what do you get for F?

1. What is static friction coefficient?

The static friction coefficient is a measure of the force required to overcome the resistance between two surfaces in contact while they are not moving relative to each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the maximum frictional force to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. How is static friction coefficient calculated?

The static friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to just start an object moving along a surface and dividing it by the normal force.

3. What factors affect the value of static friction coefficient?

The value of static friction coefficient is affected by the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied between them. It also depends on the surface area of contact and the temperature of the environment.

4. How is static friction coefficient different from kinetic friction coefficient?

The main difference between static friction coefficient and kinetic friction coefficient is that static friction exists between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs between surfaces that are in motion. The value of kinetic friction coefficient is usually lower than static friction coefficient.

5. What are some real-life examples of static friction coefficient?

Some examples of static friction coefficient in daily life include pushing a heavy object, such as a car, and trying to lift a book off a table. In both cases, the static friction coefficient must be overcome in order to move the object. Another example is walking on a slippery surface, where the static friction between the shoes and the ground keeps the person from slipping.