Static/Kinetic Friction, Probelm solving question Purely algebraic

• Thread starter Prodigium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the rocket propelled trolley accelerates along a straight track with a speed given by v(t)=bt^{2} where b is a constant. At t_{2}, the rocket fuel is exhausted and the trolley continues with constant speed v_{f}=bt^{2}_{2}. The coin initially at rest on the floor of the trolley begins to slide backwards at t_{1} and stops at t_{3}. The expression for the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the floor of the trolley is μ_{s}=\frac{2bt_{1}}{g}. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction, the net force on the coin at t_{3} must be equal to the kinetic frictional
Prodigium

Homework Statement

A rocket Propelled Trolly begins at rest time t = 0s, and then accelerates along a straight track such that the speed at time t is
[itex]v(t)=bt^{2}[/itex]
where b is a constant, during the period 0<t<t2. at time [itex]t_{2}[/itex], the rocket fuel is exhausted and the trolley continues with constant speed
[itex]v_{f}=bt^{2}_{2}[/itex]
A coin is initially at rest on the floor of the trolley. At time [itex]t_{1}[/itex], where [itex]0<t_{1}<t_{2}[/itex], it starts to slide backwards. It stops sliding at [itex]t_{3}[/itex], where [itex]t_{3}>t_{2}[/itex].
Use this information to obtain expressions for the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the coin and the floor of the trolley.

2. The attempt at a solution
[itex]a=\frac{d}{dt}(v(t))[/itex]

[itex]a=2bt[/itex]

[itex]F_{s}=\mu_{2}N[/itex]

[itex]F_{s}=Ma[/itex] (M=mass of trolley)

[itex]N=mg[/itex] (m=mass of coin)

[itex]\mu_{s}=\frac{F_{s}}{N}[/itex]

[itex]\mu_{s}=\frac{2btM}{mg}[/itex]

Thats as far as I got and I'm not even sure if what I've done is correct.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Prodigium

Initially, when the cart begins to accelerate, Newton's 1st law would suggest that, in the absence of any external forces, the coin would remain stationary, which would mean it would begin to slide backwards relative to the floor of the cart. However, there ARE forces acting on the coin, namely static friction (which is forward facing, because it prevents the coin from sliding backwards relative to the cart floor). As a result, the coin accelerates along with the cart, and hence it does not slide relative to the cart floor. Therefore, I would say that in order for the coin to have the same acceleration a(t) as the cart does, the net force on the coin must be equal to:

F = ma(t)

note the lowercase m, not uppercase like you had. This is just Newton's 2nd Law. Unfortunately, this lack of sliding can only occur up to a limit, because the maximum amount of static frictional force that is available is equal to (the coefficient of static friction) * (the normal force) i.e.:

Fs ≤ μsN

Now, we know that sliding starts at time t = t1, and hence a = 2bt1. This is the instant at which the force required to accelerate the coin is equal to the maximum available static frictional force. Beyond this time, static friction will no longer be sufficient to prevent the coin from sliding. So, we equate the net force at this instant to the max value of static friction:

ma(t1) = μsN

2mbt1 = μs(mg)

μs = (2bt1)/g

Last edited:
Ah so because the force is acting on the coin not the trolley it's "m" instead of "M" and therefore cancels. Thanks now to attempt the kinetic coef.

Thanks for the welcome, so far from what I've seen it's a brilliant site.

could you give me a hint for the kinetic because I am completley stuck and have been for a while. thanks

Related to Static/Kinetic Friction, Probelm solving question Purely algebraic

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest when a force is applied to it. It is the resistance to movement between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object when it is already in motion. It is the resistance to movement between two surfaces that are in motion relative to each other.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

The main difference between static and kinetic friction is that static friction acts on objects that are at rest, while kinetic friction acts on objects that are in motion. Static friction is also typically greater than kinetic friction.

How is static friction calculated?

The formula for calculating static friction is F = μsN, where F is the force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

How can I solve a problem involving static or kinetic friction using purely algebraic methods?

To solve a problem involving static or kinetic friction using algebra, you can use the equations F = μsN and F = μkN, where μs and μk are the coefficients of static and kinetic friction, respectively, and N is the normal force. You can also use Newton's laws of motion to set up and solve equations for the forces acting on the object.