Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statically indeterminate built in beams

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I don't know if anyone can help. I would like to be able to calculate the bending moment and deflection of a beam that is:
    Built in on both ends (no rotation)
    It has 2 different distributed loads not equ ispaced along the beam
    and has 2 point loads which are also not eqi spaced.
    I can only find nice standard cases of 1 concentrated load OR a distributed load both equally spaced along the beam length.
    I was thinking that superposition might be the easiest method

Thanks for any help

Richard

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2014 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Richardpaul: Yes, use the case of a noncentered applied load, and use superposition, four times. Is this a school assignment?

4. Jan 7, 2014 #3
    nvn
    Thanks for the reply. I have looked through all my engineering notes from graduation and a few books. Most of them have simply supported beam examples and only very few fixed end examples. They all seem to follow the same type. eg. concentrated load at the centre or two loads that are nicely spaced symetrically. I wanted to know if the solution was very difficult and how to carry out the process. I am still looking for an example on the method how to do this. If you know would you mind letting me know

Thanks

Richard

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook