1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statically indeterminate (deflection)

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    For these types of question, I know deflection equation is needed to find the reaction.
    However, my question is that when should i use the max. deflection equation and when should i use only simple deflection equation for my calculation ?

Thank you very much!
    23hrd5v.png
    w18t5e.jpg

beam-deflection-formulae-1-728.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are trying to be too choosy with your equations here.

Don't worry about which particular cases to use the max. deflection formula to solve an indeterminate problem. Pick the most general deflection formula for a particular beam and loading arrangement. If the location of the redundant support in question requires the use of a max. deflection formula, as in the case of the propped cantilever, then substituting the length of the cantilever into the general deflection equation should give the same equation as that for the max. deflection.

The max. deflection formulas in the table above are all special cases of the general deflection equation for the type of loading indicated for the cantilever. You should be able to verify this by evaluating the cantilever formulas above for x = L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted