[Statics] Determining the normal force at an internal point of a member

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Worn_Out_Tools
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
A statics question regarding a two-member frame.
For this problem (see image), I get the correct answer for the normal force at point E if I:
1) divide the frame into members AB and CB,
2) solve for the x and y components of the reaction force at point B,
3) make a free body diagram with the cut at point E forming member EB and setting the sum of the x-components of the forces to 0 and solving for the normal force.

BUT

If I try to solve it by treating the two members as a system (and, thus, discount the reaction force at B), setting the sum of the moments about point A to 0 and then solving that for the x-component of the reaction force at point C which would then equal the the negative of the normal force at point E, I don't get the same answer. Why is that?
 
Attachments
  • 7-38.PNG
    7-38.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 244
Engineering news on Phys.org
I figured it out. Used a wrong number for the second method causing the answer to differ. Thank you nonetheless.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G