1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics: find tension/wrap angle for pulley

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given: T(sub-B) plus T(sub-B) prime = 36. Both T(sub-C) values are 0. T (sub-D) =36 and T (sub-D) prime = 12. Find values of T (sub-B) and T (sub-B) prime

2. Relevant equations
    OK, so we need to find the wrap angle, which should be 180 + 30 -22, which comes to 188 degrees, which is 1.04 pi radians.
    Then: T (tightside)/T (slackside) = e raised to wrap angle (in radians)
    This yields a T (tightside)/T (slackside) of 2.84.
    The book shows this ratio as 3.

Also, confused: the values of T (sub-D) are in the same ratio (3 to 1) yet their wrap value is clearly 180 degrees or 1 pi

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2
    This is a balance of moments problem, not a belt friction problem. But, in any event, in your equation for the ratio of the tensions, you left out the coefficient of friction.

Chet

4. Apr 8, 2015 #3
    Oh, so this is just a lever-arm problem? If we look at T (sub-D), it exerts a torque of (6 in)(36Lbs)=216 in-LB on the axle. Therefore, the tightside of the belt around pulley B, which is T (sub-B), must also exert 216 in-LB of force on the axle. We know its lever arm is 8 in, so the force must be 27LB. Is this the correct logic to apply here?

Thank you for helping.....I am trying to wade through this statics course by myself, so I don't have access to professors or even other students to ask questions or debate logic.

5. Apr 8, 2015 #4
    No. You need to include in the moment balance all four of these: TB, TB', TD, and TD'.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted