1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics problem. Cable with distributed load

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    20161101_101911.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    can someone please help and explain to me how to do this problem? all the data is in the picture above.

2. Relevant equations
    i am not entirely sure which equations i should use. i know one possible equation is T=((T_o)^(2)+(wy)^(2))^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    with the one equation that i know, i can say that point 1 is not the bottom of the parabola.
    past that i need help

Any help would be appreciated
    i have been stuck for about a day and a half and just dont know where to start.

Thank you so much

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't tried to solve it all (not sure I can) but try drawing a free body diagram for the rope showing the horizontal forces. I think it's possible to work out the angle the rope makes at the bottom if that helps.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    You know the forces at the ends of the cable. You know those forces are tangential to the cable ends. You know the drag. That makes 3 forces. If they are in equilibrium they must all meet at one point. You don't have enough information about the cable self-weight to take account of that. Can you do it graphically with a triangle of forces?

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4
    thanks both of you for the help. my proffessor just walked through the derivation today in class. . . I don't know why he assiNed the problem so early. . .
    thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted