1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics question about deflection

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    Hi, I just have a question about the situation present below:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1409/staticstransrot.jpg [Broken]

So basically the goal is to find the deflections of points A, B, and C but I'm having trouble with analyzing this. At point A, there is a roller so the force will provide a rotational and translational component since point A is not rigid.

What I thought of doing is splitting this into two parts for the rotational and translational deflections separately. So to start I found the forces within each member (EB and AD) through equilibrium then I started with the translational deflection.

Since the force is to the right, the member EB will want to stretch and AD will compress. Thus, the translational deflection of point B can be found as the summation of the absolute deflections of stretching in EB and compressing in AD.

Now here's where I'm stuck. I know that this will rotate but I'm not sure how I go about calculating deflections.

Can anyone lend a hand on solving this problem?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Although I cannot see your attachment for some reason, I would like to point out that a roller does not have a rotational component. There is only one reaction associated with a roller, a vertical reaction.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook