Statics, Stress, and Machine design

In summary, The problem involves finding the value of the force P in order to solve the rest of the problem. The object is in equilibrium, so the sum of forces in the x and y directions are zero. Using this information, along with the equations for parts b and c, the value of P can be derived. The 3rd equilibrium equation can also be used to solve for Fc, which can then be used to find the diameter of the rod and determine if the pin is in double shear.
jmm21242

Homework Statement

I have attached a copy of the assignment problem. I have been having serious trouble finding the value of the force P. I know the equations to use for part b and c but I need to know the force P to complete the rest of the problem.

Homework Equations

a) The problem tells me that the object is in equilibrium so I know that the summation of the forces in the x and y direction are zero.
\SigmaF(x)=0=Fc-P
\SigmaF(y)=0=Fc-15kN-50kN

I don't know what other equations I can derive from this to help me solve for P

b) I know that to find the minimum diameter of the rod AB i will use the equation:
Safety Factor=stress to failure/stress allowed=>600 MPa/(Fmax/Area)

From here I can derive the value of the diameter of the rod if I know the value of P

c) I believe that part c is the same equation as part b please let me know if I am wrong on this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would try and make an attempt but I can not make an attempt mathematically without first knowing how to do part A. I understand the equations for part b and c but do not know how I would solve to force P.

Attachments

• 3_1 1166 #1.gif
    3_1 1166 #1.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 821
Physics news on Phys.org
jmm21242 said:

Homework Statement

I have attached a copy of the assignment problem. I have been having serious trouble finding the value of the force P. I know the equations to use for part b and c but I need to know the force P to complete the rest of the problem.

Homework Equations

a) The problem tells me that the object is in equilibrium so I know that the summation of the forces in the x and y direction are zero.
\SigmaF(x)=0=Fc-P
\SigmaF(y)=0=Fc-15kN-50kN

I don't know what other equations I can derive from this to help me solve for P

b) I know that to find the minimum diameter of the rod AB i will use the equation:
Safety Factor=stress to failure/stress allowed=>600 MPa/(Fmax/Area)

From here I can derive the value of the diameter of the rod if I know the value of P

c) I believe that part c is the same equation as part b please let me know if I am wrong on this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would try and make an attempt but I can not make an attempt mathematically without first knowing how to do part A. I understand the equations for part b and c but do not know how I would solve to force P.
Watch subscripts when looking in x and y directions, P = Fcx and Fcy is 65. Then you want to look at the 3rd equilibrium equation, sum of moments about C (or any point) = 0.

Once you now solve for Fc using Pythagorus, the pin is in double shear...

What is statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion, and the forces acting on them. It is an essential foundation for understanding the behavior of structures and machines.

What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces that act within a material to resist external loads. It is a physical quantity that describes the amount of force per unit area that a material can withstand before it deforms or breaks.

What is machine design?

Machine design is the process of creating new or improving existing machines and devices. It involves the application of engineering principles to design, analyze, and optimize the functionality, reliability, and safety of machines.

What are the types of stress?

The three main types of stress are tensile, compressive, and shear stress. Tensile stress is the stretching of a material, compressive stress is the squeezing or pressing of a material, and shear stress is the sliding or twisting of a material.

How do statics and stress relate to machine design?

Statics and stress are essential concepts in machine design as they help engineers understand the forces acting on a machine and the stresses that the machine may experience during operation. This information is crucial in designing machines that are safe, efficient, and durable.