[Statistical Physics] Spin-1 atoms in uniform magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise from the book "Statistical Physics" by F. Mandl. The exercise involves determining the mean magnetic moment of a crystal containing N atoms with spin 1 and magnetic moment \mu. Placed in a uniform magnetic field B, the atoms can orient themselves in three directions. The solution involves using the partition function and finding an expression for the mean magnetic moment, which is given in the back of the book as M = N \mu \frac{2sinh(x)}{1+2cosh(x)}. The individual magnetic moment for each atom is given, but the discussion explores how to calculate the mean magnetic moment using the definition of mean energy and magnetization.
timon

Homework Statement

A crystal contains [itex]N[/itex] atoms which posses spin 1 and magnetic moment [itex]\mu[/itex]. Placed in a uniform magnetic field [itex]B[/itex] the atoms can orient themselves in three directions: parallel, perpendicular, and antiparallel to the field. If the crystal is in thermal equilibrium at temperature [itex]T[/itex] find an expression for its mean magnetic moment [itex]M[/itex], assuming that only the interactions of the dipoles with the field [itex]B[/itex] need be considered. [This is a literal transcription of exercise 3.1 from the second edition of Statistical Physics by F. Mandl. ]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wrote down the partition function, henceforth denoted [itex]Z[/itex]. There are two perpendicular states, which have no interaction energy. There are also two parallel states, separated by a minus sign. Therefore, if I take [itex]x = \beta \mu B[/itex] I get

[itex] Z = e^0 + e^0 + e^{-\beta \mu B} + e^{\beta \mu B} = 2 + \cosh(x). [/itex]

Now I get confused. How can I calculate the mean magnetic moment if the book gives me the magnetic moment for each atom? Surely, [itex] M = N \mu [/itex] is a little too simple. Besides, the answer is given in the back of the book as

[itex] M = N \mu \frac{2sinh(x)}{1+2cosh(x)} [/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I should use the definition of mean energy and then the magnetization, but I'm not sure how to approach the problem from this point.

1. What is the significance of studying spin-1 atoms in a uniform magnetic field?

The study of spin-1 atoms in a uniform magnetic field is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and the principles of magnetism. It also has applications in fields such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging.

2. What is the spin of a spin-1 atom?

The spin of a spin-1 atom refers to its intrinsic angular momentum, which is a quantum property. In this case, the spin is equal to 1, meaning it can take on three distinct values: +1, 0, or -1.

3. How does a uniform magnetic field affect the spin-1 atoms?

A uniform magnetic field causes the spin-1 atoms to align themselves with the direction of the field. This alignment can result in changes to the energy levels and properties of the atoms, which can be observed through various experimental techniques.

4. What is the difference between spin-1/2 and spin-1 atoms in a magnetic field?

The main difference between spin-1/2 and spin-1 atoms in a magnetic field is the number of possible spin states. Spin-1/2 atoms have only two possible spin states (+1/2 or -1/2), while spin-1 atoms have three possible spin states (+1, 0, or -1).

5. How is the behavior of spin-1 atoms in a magnetic field described mathematically?

The behavior of spin-1 atoms in a magnetic field can be described using quantum mechanics and the principles of statistical physics. This involves using mathematical equations such as the Schrödinger equation and the Boltzmann distribution to model the energy and probabilities of different spin states.