1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics - Binomial Probability question

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    Hi. i keep finding a different answer than what textbook offers. is my answer correct?

question: the quality control department of a company making computer chips knows that 2% of the chips arw defective. use the nurmal approximation to the binomial probability distribution, with a continuity correction, to find the probability that, in a batch containing 1000 chips, between 20 and 30 chips (inclusive) are defective.

my answer: probability=0.02
    using TI 84+
    binomcdf(1000,0.02,30)-binomcdf(1000,0.02,19)=0.5179 (its my answer)
    but the textbook says the answer is: 0.5349

is there anything wrong with my solution? what do you think is the real answer?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

You aren't using the continuity correction - you aren't even using the normal approximation.

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3
    oh. i will work on that.

turns out my teacher has not said a single word on continuity correction and normal approximation. so i just assumed i could solve it using commulative thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook