1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Statistics] Conditional Probability questions?

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've attached both the problems into one image to make life easier since problem 1 has a diagram and the other does not.

SqHcA.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Bayes Theorem : P(A|B)P(B) / [P(A|B)P(B) + P(A|B')P(B')]
    B' = B Complement
    Z39bp.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    well for the first one
    i dont understand what the P(A|B') is and the .849 is that referring to B'?
    SO i did .001(.05) / [(.001(.05)) + P(A|B')(.849)] i dont know what that P(A|B') is so im not sure where to go from there and the answer in the back of the book says .0099

for the 2nd problem
    a.) i understand dont need help
    b.) i dont know how to get P(AB) given the information provided
    c.) well i can get this if i know part b since it would be .4 + .25 - P(AB)

thank u for ur help!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    It's not clear where your brackets end in Bayes's Theorem. Try this instead:
    P(B|A) = P(A|B) *(P(B))/(P(A))

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    ^ that doesn't seem to work, like i'm still not clear on when i'm supposed to use baye's theorem?

ah sorry forgot the final bracket it says this:

Bayes Theorem : P(A|B)P(B) / [P(A|B)P(B) + P(A|B')P(B')]

in the textbook it says that ah well here let me just take a picture of it:
    Z39bp.jpg

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    also i think the 2nd one the conditional information of .7 is unecessary and it should just be that

P(AB) = P(A)*P(B) = (.4)(.25) = .1?

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5
    When you say that P(AB) = P(A) * P(B), you're assuming that the two events are mutually exclusive. But since P(A|B) = 0.7, we know that's not true (otherwise P(A|B) = P(A)). What you want is the probability of A and B (i.e. their intersection).

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6
    Also, the version of Bayes' Theorem you're using is more complex than you need to solve the first problem. The basic formula for conditional probability is

[itex] P(B|A) = P(B \cap A)/P(A)[/itex]

So you know you're in A because that's given. So you want to know, what's the probability that you'll be in the (tiny) part of A that overlaps with B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook