1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics - Joint PMF / Hypothesis Testing

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We sample a population 50 times with replacement, with all individual sampled equally likely. We survey the gender and quality of life. The counts are: Male: 13 high quality, 11 low | female: 18 high, 8 low.

Let P_M, P_F, P_H, P_L to denote these population proportions for each of the categories and let population proportions for the combinations be denoted by P_mh, P_ml, P_fh, P_fl. Paramaters are denoted by θ=(P_mh, P_ml, P_fh, P_fl).

Null hypothesis: P_mh = P_m * P_h, P_ml = P_m * P_l... same for females
    Alternative hypothesis: P_mh =/= P_m * P_h, P_ml =/= P_m * P_l... same for females

1. Data counts are denoted by N_mh, N_ml, N_fh, N_fl. What is the joint probability mass function for these counts?
    2. Write down the sets w_0 and w_A so that null hypothesis is θ∈w_0 and alternative hypothesis is θ∈w_A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. So I know understand the problem wants us to find P[(N_mh, N_ml, N_fh, N_fl)=(n_mh, n_ml, n_fh, n_fl)]. But I'm a bit confused on the notation and how to answer this problem.

2. Once again I'm not sure I understand exactly how to approach this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The population falls into 4 groups, g1 to g4, say. According to the null hyp they have frequencies P_m * P_h, P_m * P_l etc. Call these p1 to p4. Suppose you take N samples from the population, and you get, in order, 2 1 2 4 4 3 2 1 4 ..., getting, in all, ni from group gi. What would the probability of that specific sequence be? How many sequences give the same total for each group?

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    So it's a multinomial distribution.

Any hints or tips on the second question?

5. Apr 14, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think the key point about the second question is that θ is a vector of four unknowns, but:
    - they must add up to 1
    - the null hypothesis does not prescribe them all, only a relationship between them.
    So I think it's looking for a vector, involving some free parameter, which generically describes elements of w_0.

6. Apr 14, 2013 #5
    So I think w_0 is just a point and w_A is a hyperplane in 4 dimensions that is missing the point that is in w_0. My problem is how would I write that in the context of this problem?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. Apr 15, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that's exactly what I'm saying it isn't. The null hypothesis makes no claim about the gender ratio in the population. Therefore there is a continuum of values of the 4 vector which satisfy it. The answer will be something like {(f1(t), f2(t), f3(t), f4(t))} where fi(t) are functions (you need to determine) of some unknown parameter t. Or maybe there are two free parameters.
    w_A will be everywhere in the 4-space except for that continuum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted