Stator ring connection and coils question

In summary, the conversation is about finding a program or formula to determine the number of windings needed per coil on a 6 coil steel stator ring powered by 3-phase AC power to achieve a magnetic field strength of 1.3T. The person also asks about using a standard AC plug or a DC power supply to create a rotating magnetic field and how to connect the coils in each case. They are directed to study electric machine theory before attempting to design their own solution.
StephenD420
Hello everyone:

I am trying to find a program or formula that will help me figure out how many windings, turns of coil, are needed per coil on a 6 coil steel stator ring powered by 3-phase AC power to get a certain magnetic field strength, about 1.3T. Is there any way that you could help me find out how many windings are needed per coil? Would I use the standard solenoid formula B=mu*N*L?

Could I use a standard ac plug with one hot leg and one neutral to power my steel stator ring coils, 6 total, to create a rotating magnetic field? If so, how would I connect the coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to the one hot leg and one neutral leg? And how would this affect the number of turns needed for each coil? Which would be better, Using a DC power supply or AC power from a plug with one hot leg and one neutral leg?
If DC is better to create the rotating magnetic field, how would I connect the six coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to a DC power supply

Thanks so much for the help.
Stephen

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a stator ring connection?

A stator ring connection is a type of electrical connection used in motors and generators. It is a circular metal ring that is placed around the stator, which is the stationary part of the motor or generator. The stator ring serves as a connection point for the coils that produce the magnetic field necessary for the motor or generator to function.

2. How are the coils connected to the stator ring?

The coils are connected to the stator ring by placing them in slots on the ring and securing them with insulation. The coils are then connected to each other and to the stator ring using wires, creating a closed loop circuit. This allows electricity to flow through the coils and create a magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of the stator ring connection?

The stator ring connection serves as a central connection point for the coils in a motor or generator. It helps to distribute the electrical current evenly throughout the coils, ensuring that the magnetic field is strong and consistent. The stator ring connection also allows for easier maintenance and repair of the motor or generator.

4. How does the stator ring connection affect the performance of a motor or generator?

The stator ring connection plays a crucial role in the performance of a motor or generator. It ensures that the coils are connected in the proper sequence and that the magnetic field is strong and consistent. Any issues with the stator ring connection can result in decreased efficiency or malfunction of the motor or generator.

5. What are some common issues with stator ring connections?

Some common issues with stator ring connections include loose or damaged wires, faulty insulation, and misaligned coils. These issues can result in interruptions in the electrical current, leading to decreased performance or complete failure of the motor or generator. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent these issues from occurring.