Stats or Proofs: Which Math Course is More Valuable for a Physics Major?

• Thread starter Mike K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between taking Statistics or Foundations of Higher Mathematics as a physics major. Both options are not major requirements, with Foundations covering logic, set theory, proofs, number systems, and basic analysis, while Statistics covers a wide range of basic to advanced topics in statistics. It is debated which course would be more useful for a future in physics or grad school, with some factors being the student's interests and potential research topics. The consensus is that both courses can be useful, with Statistics being more applicable for those working with large sets of data and Foundations being more appropriate for those focusing on theoretical or mathematical physics. Ultimately, the decision depends on the individual's interests and future plans.
Mike K
I am a physics major deciding between taking either Statistics or Foundations of Higher Mathematics this semester.

Neither are major requirments. Foundations of Higher Math covers logic, set theory, proofs, number systems, and some basic analysis. Elementary to Intermediate Statistics and Data Analysis covers a large range of basic to advanced topics in statistics (alternatively, there are lower level stats options, but I think those are for non-STEM majors).

Which would be more useful for a future in physics/grad school? I planned on foundations at first because it was a prereq for a second semester of linear algebra, but I plan on taking PDEs instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike K said:
Which would be more useful for a future in physics/grad school?

What do you see your future in grad school like? What topics? etc.

micromass said:
What do you see your future in grad school like? What topics? etc.

My undregrad research focuses on astrophysics, but I am becoming more interested in quantum after a few semesters of coursework.

If you ever see yourself working with a large set of data and what to say something meaningful about that data, go with statistics. If you never want or plan to see real data, then ignore statistics. Personally if you go the second route, i'll be happy. People like that often pay me an insane amount of money to do a t-test :).

Mike K said:
My undregrad research focuses on astrophysics, but I am becoming more interested in quantum after a few semesters of coursework.

OK, anything more specific? Are you interested in very mathematical physics? Theoretical physics? Or something very experimental?
If you're going with the experimental route, then statistics is always the better option. If you're planning to do a lot of math in the future, then the foundations will be more appropriate.

micromass said:
OK, anything more specific? Are you interested in very mathematical physics? Theoretical physics? Or something very experimental?
If you're going with the experimental route, then statistics is always the better option. If you're planning to do a lot of math in the future, then the foundations will be more appropriate.

I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I am unsure which I prefer as all my research has been theoretical and I am unsure if I would enjou experimental.

MarneMath said:
If you ever see yourself working with a large set of data and what to say something meaningful about that data, go with statistics. If you never want or plan to see real data, then ignore statistics. Personally if you go the second route, i'll be happy. People like that often pay me an insane amount of money to do a t-test :).

I agree that stats will be important no matter what I end up researching. I think I am leaning towards that. I'm just wondering if anyone found proof based math or logic useful in physics.

Mike K said:
I agree that stats will be important no matter what I end up researching. I think I am leaning towards that. I'm just wondering if anyone found proof based math or logic useful in physics.

Of course it can be useful in physics. A whole lot depends on where you end up in. Since you clearly don't know that yet, I don't think there's much meaningful advice we can give you.

Related to Stats or Proofs: Which Math Course is More Valuable for a Physics Major?

What is the difference between Stats and Proofs/Logic Math?

Stats, or statistics, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation, and organization of data. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to draw conclusions and make predictions based on data. Proofs/Logic Math, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of mathematical reasoning and argumentation. It focuses on the logical structure of mathematical statements and the rules of inference used to prove or disprove them.

Which one is more applicable in real-world situations?

Both Stats and Proofs/Logic Math have practical applications in different fields. Stats is commonly used in areas such as finance, economics, and social sciences to analyze and interpret data. Proofs/Logic Math, on the other hand, is often used in computer science, engineering, and pure mathematics to prove theorems and develop new mathematical concepts. So, the applicability of each depends on the specific field and problem at hand.

Are Stats and Proofs/Logic Math mutually exclusive?

No, they are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they can be complementary to each other. Stats can provide evidence or support for a mathematical statement, and Proofs/Logic Math can help establish the validity of statistical methods or models.

Which one is more challenging to learn?

This may vary from person to person, as it depends on individual strengths and interests. Some people may find Stats more challenging, while others may struggle with Proofs/Logic Math. It is important to note that both require a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and strong problem-solving skills.

Can one be a master in both Stats and Proofs/Logic Math?

Yes, it is possible to be proficient in both Stats and Proofs/Logic Math. However, it may require dedication, hard work, and practice to excel in both fields. It is also important to note that one may have a natural inclination towards one over the other, and that can affect their level of mastery in each.