Stay or go back to home country?

• Thread starter abiyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, if you are happy with your current situation and don't see yourself wanting to move away in the near future, then you should stay. But if you are unhappy with your situation or your parents are in the US, then you should consider moving back to your home country.
abiyo
I am at a point where I have to decide what I want to do at this point in my life.

I am currently finishing a Masters program and I am doing quite well with my research and school. I see myself going to Academia or industry here in US.

As much as I like this country and however hard I think about it, I don't see myself living here. I see myself being happy in my home country. This has been a thought that has been haunting me for a long time.

My parents are quite opposed to it and so are my friends who think it is quite a waste of my degree. I am not even sure if I will get a job of my field in my home country.

Of course, I am not asking for people to tell me what to do but I want to see if people could share similar experiences or things I should consider.

Thanks
-abiyo

Physics news on Phys.org
My thought is to start my career here and then to eventually move back into a senior position. I'm younger than you but I'm also an international student in the US.

abiyo said:
I am at a point where I have to decide what I want to do at this point in my life.

I am currently finishing a Masters program and I am doing quite well with my research and school. I see myself going to Academia or industry here in US.

As much as I like this country and however hard I think about it, I don't see myself living here. I see myself being happy in my home country. This has been a thought that has been haunting me for a long time.

My parents are quite opposed to it and so are my friends who think it is quite a waste of my degree. I am not even sure if I will get a job of my field in my home country.

Of course, I am not asking for people to tell me what to do but I want to see if people could share similar experiences or things I should consider.

Thanks
-abiyo

You are correct that we cannot tell you what to do. I've worked alongside at least 100 immigrants from all over the world over the last 28 years. Some of them love living here, and some of them hate it. I don't really know why the people who hate it here don't go back. But I think it's pretty universal. I know a few Americans who want to move away.

Are you familiar with the saying; "The grass is always greener on the other side".
It means simply; "Some people are never happy where they're at."

But if the conditions in your native country are not too abysmal, I would move back. Unless of course your parents are here, then I would stay. Unless of course you can't stand your parents, then I would move back.

Perhaps you should watch "Across the Universe". It is an interesting story of a young foreigner bouncing back and forth between England and America. The music was quite good. But I'm probably biased, as I grew up with it.

But then again, you probably won't understand any of this, until you're 64. :tongue:

What are the pros and cons of staying in a foreign country?

Staying in a foreign country can offer a variety of unique experiences and opportunities for personal growth. It can also help you develop a better understanding of different cultures and perspectives. However, it may also come with challenges such as homesickness, language barriers, and cultural differences.

How do I decide whether to stay or go back to my home country?

The decision to stay or go back to your home country ultimately depends on your personal goals, priorities, and circumstances. Consider factors such as job opportunities, family ties, personal relationships, and quality of life in both locations.

What are the potential benefits of going back to my home country?

Going back to your home country can offer a sense of familiarity and comfort, as well as the opportunity to be closer to family and friends. It may also provide better job prospects and a lower cost of living.

What are the potential challenges of going back to my home country?

Returning to your home country may also come with challenges, such as reverse culture shock, readjusting to a different lifestyle, and potentially facing societal or political issues that may have changed since you left.

How can I make the transition of staying or going back to my home country smoother?

To make the transition smoother, it can be helpful to research and prepare for the cultural, social, and practical differences you may encounter. Maintaining connections with people from both your home country and foreign country can also help you feel more connected and supported during the transition.