1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stay or go back to home country?

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    I am at a point where I have to decide what I want to do at this point in my life.

I am currently finishing a Masters program and I am doing quite well with my research and school. I see myself going to Academia or industry here in US.

As much as I like this country and however hard I think about it, I don't see myself living here. I see myself being happy in my home country. This has been a thought that has been haunting me for a long time.

My parents are quite opposed to it and so are my friends who think it is quite a waste of my degree. I am not even sure if I will get a job of my field in my home country.

Of course, I am not asking for people to tell me what to do but I want to see if people could share similar experiences or things I should consider.

Thanks
    -abiyo

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2
    My thought is to start my career here and then to eventually move back into a senior position. I'm younger than you but I'm also an international student in the US.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are correct that we cannot tell you what to do. I've worked alongside at least 100 immigrants from all over the world over the last 28 years. Some of them love living here, and some of them hate it. I don't really know why the people who hate it here don't go back. But I think it's pretty universal. I know a few Americans who want to move away.

Are you familiar with the saying; "The grass is always greener on the other side".
    It means simply; "Some people are never happy where they're at."

But if the conditions in your native country are not too abysmal, I would move back. Unless of course your parents are here, then I would stay. Unless of course you can't stand your parents, then I would move back.

Perhaps you should watch "Across the Universe". It is an interesting story of a young foreigner bouncing back and forth between England and America. The music was quite good. But I'm probably biased, as I grew up with it.

But then again, you probably won't understand any of this, until you're 64. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook