1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stellar Formation, Life, Death - Temp, Radius, Luminosity

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    How does the temperature of a star relate to the radius of a star?
    How does the mass of a star affect the temperature of the star's core?
    How does the luminosity of a star relate to how long a star will live?
    How do the spectral lines of a star determine if the star is a first generation star or a later generation star?

I'm looking for the most short and sweet answer to each so I can understand the relationships and remember them. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF. But that is not the way this board works. You have to show us what you have done and we will help you.

AM

4. Dec 19, 2008 #3
    It's ok, I got a 94/100 on my final exam last night. I was just looking for some black and white confirmation.

How does the temperature of a star relate to the radius of a star?
    The hotter the star the bigger the radius is.

How does the mass of a star affect the temperature of the star's core?
    The more massive a star is the more gravity it has, therefore the hotter the core is.

How does the luminosity of a star relate to how long a star will live?
    Greater luminosity means more massive star which means it will form quicker and die faster.

How do the spectral lines of a star determine if the star is a first generation star or a later generation star?
    If the spectral lines show only H and He makeup then it is a pop II star and must be first generation.
    If the spectral lines show heavier elements than just H and He, it is a pop I star and must be a later generation star.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?