Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of going from line one of the autocorrelation to the second line, with one person struggling to understand the use of identity or property in the calculation. The other person suggests using the formula for the product of cosine values and apologizes for the delay in responding due to grad school. The struggling person expresses gratitude for the helpful suggestion.
snatchingthepi
TL;DR Summary
There's a step from one line to another that isn't clear to me.
If anyone could help me understand how Peebles gets from line one of the autocorrelation to the second line, I'd be most grateful. I don't understand what identity or property is being used to go from a product in the expectation value to a sum in the expectation value.
2019-11-23.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the step you are struggling with. Is it where they calculate ##R_{X,X}(t,t+\tau)##?

In that case, the formula

$$\cos(a) \cos(b)= 1/2(\cos(a+b)+\cos(a-b))$$ can be useful.

Likes snatchingthepi
Sorry for the lateness of my thanks, but #gradschool. Yeah I feel slightly stupid now for not realizing that. It was exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Likes member 587159

1. What is the main concept of "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book"?

The main concept of "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" is to provide a comprehensive guide to understanding and applying probability concepts in various scenarios. It covers topics such as basic probability principles, conditional probability, and probability distributions.

2. Who is the author of "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book"?

The author of "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" is Professor Peebbles, a renowned expert in the field of probability and statistics. He has published numerous books and articles on the subject and has years of experience teaching at various universities.

3. What makes "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" different from other probability books?

"Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" stands out from other probability books because it uses a unique and engaging approach to explain complex concepts. It also includes real-life examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts in practical situations.

4. Is "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them. The book also includes clear explanations and examples to help beginners grasp the concepts easily.

5. Can "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" be used as a reference book for professionals?

Yes, "Step unclear in Peebbles' Probability Book" can be used as a reference book for professionals. It covers a wide range of topics and includes advanced concepts that can be useful for professionals in various fields such as finance, data analysis, and research.