1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stern-Gerlach Experimental Calculation

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    I've run into a problem which has been bugging me for days. I know its related to the Stern-Gerlach experiment about firing hydrogen through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, but all i can do is give a vague qualitative description of the answers, and not an actual numerical one (because I don't entirely know what equations should be useful).

I know theres stuff about magnetic moments and spin and dipole moments happening here, but I can't seem to reconcile all these ideas. I'm not looking for a raw solution (I still want to learn something), just pointers as to the physics that's happening here, and possibly what equations are useful. Thanks.

I know (basically) that because of the inhomogeneous magnetic field, the atoms experience a force in the z-direction (vertically). Classically, theres stuff about all possible ranges of spin/momentum (or something) which would give a continuous band on the screen. Quantum mechanically, theres stuff about quantized spins that will only allow discrete outcomes, and i think the relativistic bit refers to the spin quantum number, m_s, but it might not. I can kinda handle the first three parts (if I'm even on the right track), but the fourth part - actually finding where the beam will appear - is a bit mysterious at the moment.

Thanks again.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

check out the very first chapter of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics"--it's about the S.G. experiment.
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

For 4, use the equation for the force on a dipole [tex]F=(\mu\cdot\nabla)B[/tex],
    wilth spin up and spin down.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?