1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stirling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    Hi, fellow physicists (to be). This is my first post on the forum, so I hope I get it right. If not so, please let me know :)

introduction to the problem
    At the moment I am working on my physics bachelor's thesis at the theoretical department of my university (Amsterdam). My thesis focusses on a certain supersymmetric 1D lattice model, on which spinless fermions can be placed. While working in Mathematica, I found an exact expression for the occupation of sub-levels on the chain of length l (l being the number of sites on the lattice). The expression I found (f(l)), however, is a product over indices, which is not very insightful. My supervisor has asked me to rewrite this (f(l)) into a power of l. To do this, he said that I should use Stirling's approximation.

The problem
    The function I found is
    \begin{equation}
    f(l) = \frac{2}{5} {(-1)}^l \prod_{i=0}^{l-3} \frac{3(l-i)-2}{3(l-i)-1}.
    \end{equation}

While being not skilled in rewriting this, Mathematica rewrote f(l) in terms of Gamma functions. leaving out the pre-factors, I am left with
    \begin{equation}
    f(l)={(-1)}^l \frac{3l-2}{3l-1} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{4}{3}-l)}{\Gamma(\frac{5}{3}-l)}.
    \end{equation}

On this expression I wanted to use Sterling's approximation for Gamma functions:
    \begin{equation}
    \Gamma(z)=\sqrt{\frac{2π}{z}}(\frac{z}{e})^{z}.
    \end{equation}
    The trouble that arises is that this approximation is only valid for positive arguments z of Gamma.

Attempt to Solve
    To solve this, I tried to use the recursion relation

\begin{equation}
    \Gamma(z)=\frac{\Gamma(z+1)}{z}
    \end{equation}

If I use this recursion relation, however, I'm back at the indexed product I started with.

Does anyone on this forum know of a different approach, some sparks of creativity or otherwise good tips? All help is very welcome.

greetings,

Ludo

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2
    Re: Sterling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument

I misspelled 'Stirling' in the title, can an admin maybe change this?

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3

There definitely exists an expression which is more handy than the one Mathematica gave you... If you just write out the product, you get
    [tex] f(l) = \frac{2}{5} (-1)^l \frac{7 \cdot 10 \cdot 13 \cdot ... \cdot (3l-2)}{8 \cdot 11 \cdot 14 \cdot ... \cdot (3l-1)} = (-1)^l \frac{\Gamma(2/3) \Gamma(l+1/3)}{\Gamma(1/3) \Gamma(l+2/3)}, [/tex]
    where the last step is from wolfram alpha :) It's difficult to estimate if the two expressions are the same without knowing the prefactors, but this certainly looks more appealing in terms of using Stirling.

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can also get your expression into the same form as the one clamtrox posted by use Euler's reflection formula:

[tex] \Gamma(1-z) \Gamma(z)=\frac{ \pi }{ \sin( \pi z ) }[/tex]

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5

Thanks, Clamtrox and gabbagabbahey (Gabba as in the music genre?) for the useful comments. With a positive-argument Gamma function, my world is a lot brighter :)

7. Jul 19, 2012 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome! (And my handle is taken from the lyrics to a Ramones track)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook