1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes' Theorem - Limits of Integration

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    Stokes' Theorem - Limits of Integration - Urgent! Please give a hand :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume the vector function

[tex]\vec{A} = \hat{a}_x \left( 3x^2 y^3 \right) + \hat{a}_y \left( -x^3 y^2 \right)[/tex]

Evaluate

[tex] \int \left( \nabla \times \vec{A} \right) \cdot d\vec{s} [/tex]

over the triangular area (see figure attached).

2. Relevant equations

Above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Step 1.

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{A} & = \begin{vmatrix} \displaystyle \hat{a}_x & \displaystyle \hat{a}_y & \displaystyle \hat{a}_z \vspace{0.25cm} \\ \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \vspace{0.25cm} \\ \displaystyle A_x & \displaystyle A_y & \displaystyle 0 \end{vmatrix} \\
    & = \begin{vmatrix} \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ \displaystyle A_y & \displaystyle 0 \end{vmatrix} \hat{a}_x - \begin{vmatrix} \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ \displaystyle A_x & \displaystyle 0 \end{vmatrix} \hat{a}_y + \begin{vmatrix} \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \\ \displaystyle A_x & \displaystyle A_y \end{vmatrix} \hat{a}_z \\
    & = \cancelto{0}{-\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial z} \, \hat{a}_x} + \cancelto{0}{\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z} \, \hat{a}_y} + \left( \frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y} \right) \, \hat{a}_z[/tex]

Step 2

[tex]\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( -x^3 y^2 \right) = -y^2 \frac{d}{dx} \left( x^3 \right) = -3x^2 y^2[/tex]

Step 3
    [tex]- \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \left( 3x^2 y^3 \right) = -3x^2 \frac{d}{dy} \left( y^3 \right) = -9x^2y^2[/tex]

Step 4
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{A} & = \left( \frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y} \right) \, \hat{a}_z \\
    & = \left(-12x^2 y^2 \right) \, \hat{a}_z[/tex]

Step 5

[tex] \int \int \left(-12x^2 y^2 \right) \, \hat{a}_z \cdot \left( dx dy\right) \hat{a}_z [/tex]

Not sure about the limits of integration - THIS IS "THE" PROBLEM. Maybe it's trivial and I just can't see it right now. I do expect to get one of the limits as a variable.

I actually did the other way around (via Stokes' Theorem) P1 (1,1) to P2 (2,2) to P3 (2,1) to P1 and got

[tex]\oint _S \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = 7y^3 - 7x^3[/tex]

I'm pretty sure this one is right, so I keep trying to make my other method work but without success so far. Any help is highly appreciated.

THANKS, FOLKS!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely, you learned how to handle this long before you got to Stoke's theorem! The region is a triangle with vertices at (1,1), (2,1), and (2,2). If you choose to integrate with respect to y first, so that the outer integral is with respect to x, then x must cover the entire figure: x must go from 1 to 2. Now, for each x, y must go from the lower edge, y= 1 to the upper edge which is the line y= x. Your integral is
    [tex]\int_{x=1}^2 \int_{y=1}^x f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

If, instead, you want to integrate with respect to x first so that the outer integral is with respect to y, then, again to cover the entire triangle, y must go from 1 to 2 and, for each y, x must go from the line x= y on the left to the line x= 2 on the right. Your integral is
    [tex]\int_{y= 1}^2 \int_{x=y}^2 f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

4. Mar 27, 2007 #3
    HallsofIvy, thanks for your comments.

I actually tried those limits before, which sound reasonable to me - by the way. The problem is that I do get

[tex] \int _1 ^2 \int _y ^2 \left(-12x^2 y^2 \right) dx dy = -\frac{98}{3} \neq \oint _S \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = 7y^3 - 7x^3 [/tex]

Hence, one of the sides is not correct. I double checked the work on the circulation and I can't see a mistake. Here's what I've got:

Path of integration:

[tex]P_1 (1,1) \to P_2 (2,2) \to P_3 (2,1) \to P_1 (1,1)[/tex]

Step 1:

[tex]\oint _S \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} & = \int _{P_1 P_2} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} + \int _{P_2 P_3} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} + \int _{P_3 P_4} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell}[/tex]

Step 2:

[tex]\int _{P_1 P_2} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} & = \int _1 ^2 A_x \: dx + \int _1 ^2 A_y \: dy \\
    & = \int _1 ^2 \left( 3x^2 y^3 \right) \, dx + \int _1 ^2 \left( -x^3 y^2 \right) \, dy \\
    & = 3y^3 \int _1 ^2 x^2 \: dx - x^3 \int _1 ^2 y^2 \: dy \\
    & = 3y^3 \left. \frac{x^3}{3} \right| _1 ^2 - x^3 \left. \frac{y^3}{3} \right| _1 ^2 = 7y^3 - \frac{7}{3}x^3 \\[/tex]

Step 3:

[tex]\int _{P_2 P_3} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} & = \int _2 ^2 A_x \: dx + \int _2 ^1 A_y \: dy \\
    & = -\int _1 ^2 \left( -x^3 y^2 \right) \, dy \\
    & = x^3 \int _1 ^2 y^2 \: dy \\
    & = x^3 \left. \frac{y^3}{3} \right| _1 ^2 = \frac{7}{3}x^3 \\[/tex]

Step 4:

[tex]\int _{P_3 P_2} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} & = \int _2 ^1 A_x \: dx + \int _1 ^1 A_y \: dy \\
    & = -\int _1 ^2 \left( 3x^2 y^3 \right) \, dx \\
    & = -3y^3 \int _1 ^2 x^2 \: dx \\
    & = -3y^3 \left. \frac{x^3}{3} \right| _1 ^2 = - 7x^3\\[/tex]

Step 5:

[tex]\oint _S \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = 7y^3 - 7x^3[/tex]

Thanks again.

5. Mar 27, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said you could do the path integral around the boundary! You do understand that the path integral should be a number, not a function of x and y?
    :rolleyes:
    I get 98/3 both ways- integrating over the surface and integrating around the boundary. (NOT -98/3: Since the path is clockwise around the surface, the normal is [itex]-\hat{a}_z[/itex], not [itex]\hat{a}_z[/itex]: "right hand rule".)

I divided the boundary into three parts:
    I: The line from (2,1) to (1,1). Take x= t with t going from 2 to 1, y= 1. Then dx= dt, dy= 0 so the integral becomes
    [tex]\int_2^1 3t^2 dt= t^3 \right|_2^1= 1- 8= -7[/itex]

II: The line from (2,2) to (2,1). Take x= 2, y= t with t going from 2 to 1. Then dx= 0, dy= dt so the integral becomes
    [tex]-8\int_2^1 t^2 dt= -\frac{8}{3}t^2\right|_2^1= \frac{8}{3}(1- 8)= -\frac{56}{3}[/tex]

III: The line from (1,1) to (2,2). Take x= t, y= t with t going from 1 to 2. Then dx= dy= dt so the integral becomes
    [tex]\int_1^2 (3t^5- t^5)dt= 2\int_1^2 t^5 dt= \frac{1}{3}t^6\right|_1^2= \frac{1}{3} (64- 1)= \frac{63}{3}[/tex]

So the complete integral is
    [tex]- 7+ \frac{56}{3}+ \frac{63}{3}= \frac{-21+ 56+ 63}{3}= \frac{98}{3}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?