Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stopping discharging a battery during charging

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    I am from a country where power outage is very common.
    I have a light source which is run by a lead acid battery. At night, I want to keep this light ON during power outage and when the electricity is back on, the charging circuit engages and the lights should turn off itself.
    I am guessing an arrangement would be needed so that when the charging starts, with it somehow, a circuit should sense it and open/dis-engage the discharging circuit.

Simple Version:
    I want to plug the charger in the battery, during power outage the light will be ON and with power on (when the charger starts charging the battery), the light turns OFF.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would use a relay powered from the wall power. You can connect your light and charging circuit to different parts of the relay to give the two different configurations.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    ummm... That would be a nice way to do it.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Be sure to use a "break-before-make" type of relay. :smile:

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5
    If only I was expert in electronics.
    But thanks for the head start, that's how we learn. I am going to read more about the relay you proposed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook