Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stopping Microwave Antenna Effect

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    Currently I am working on a project which involves putting a metal shaft into a microwave which extends out of the microwave as well. After grounding the shaft I ran a test to look at the effect of microwave leakage out of the microwave due to an antenna effect from the shaft. There was significant leakage, well above approved limits. I had a question regarding a way to stop this leakage. I am not too skilled in the area of microwaves or electrical engineering, but I came across an EMF shielding paint which claims to be able to block microwaves (http://www.lessemf.com/paint.html). Theoretically if the shaft was coated in this paint, would the microwaves just reflect back into the microwave cavity and not travel up the the shaft?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would help to understand your purpose in this project.

Grounding the shaft arbitrarily is not enough. Coating the shaft, if it is already metal will not have any meaningful effect. I think the critical area is the interface where the shaft crosses into the microwave chamber. There should be no gap there. How is yours set up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook