An Observation And A Question -- Why does metal arc in a microwave oven?

In summary, the conversation discusses a teenager's curiosity about the physics behind using metal objects in a microwave. The teenager, who is self-taught in physics, conducted an experiment with a metal-rimmed dish and noticed arcing of electrons. This led to a discussion about the potential dangers and potential uses of this phenomenon. The conversation ends with a suggestion to search for more information on the topic.
Joshua McAnaney
So, I'm new around here and I'm not entirely sure if this is in the right section, but today I noticed something which I found thought-provoking. Before I go into this, I should point out that I'm 16, so all of my physics knowledge above high-school level is entirely self-taught, so I still have a lot to learn.

Anyway, I'm on study leave from school, so my dad has been cooking me food to heat up in the microwave when I'm in on my own. He specifically said not to use a certain type of dish in the microwave, as they have a ring of metal around their rim. Now, I obviously know that you shouldn't put metal in a microwave, but being a physicist (and someone without that "don't do it voice" in their head), I decided to do it in the name of science. Now, I expected to see arcing around the metal rim, which I did. But that got me thinking- how can electrons be arcing on a continuous piece of metal. I mean, we see arcs of electricity when electrons jump form one piece of metal to another, but on a continuous loop, there is nowhere for them to jump between.

Now, I presume that the high energy of the microwaves is causing electrons to arc from the air inside the microwave to the dish? If I'm wrong, please correct me. The reason I'm interested is that I plan on building a Farnsworth fusor this summer, only with deuterium added, and I am wondering about the high energies acting on this ring of metal. It gave me a few thoughts on circuits which could use this arcing effect, caused by the microwaves, in order to generate the high energies needed for deuterium fusion.

If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer but it has been discussed here on this forum so I suggest a forum search, which actually is always a good idea if you have a fundamental question that you can be pretty sure someone else has had occasion to ask already.

Joshua McAnaney said:
but on a continuous loop, there is nowhere for them to jump between.

http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/why-can%E2%80%99t-we-put-metal-objects-microwave

Maybe here you can find the answer... there is ionization in the surrounding air...an that's why you get the lighting sparks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why can't I put metal inside a microwave oven?

The reason why metal should not be placed inside a microwave oven is because metal is a conductor of electricity. When metal is placed in a microwave, it causes the electric current to be directed into the metal, creating sparks and potentially causing a fire.

2. Why does metal arc in a microwave oven?

Metal arcs in a microwave oven because of the high concentration of electromagnetic radiation inside the oven. When the waves come into contact with the metal, it causes the electrons in the metal to move rapidly, creating sparks and arcing.

3. What happens if I accidentally put metal in the microwave?

If you accidentally put metal in the microwave, it can cause sparks and potentially start a fire. It is important to stop the microwave immediately and remove the metal object to avoid any damage or danger.

4. Can I put any type of metal in the microwave?

No, it is not safe to put any type of metal in the microwave. This includes aluminum foil, metal utensils, and even dishes with metallic rims or decorations. Stick to using microwave-safe materials like glass, ceramic, or plastic.

5. Is it safe to use metal in a microwave if it is properly wrapped or covered?

No, wrapping or covering metal objects with microwave-safe materials does not make it safe to use in a microwave. The electromagnetic waves will still interact with the metal and can cause arcing and sparks, potentially damaging the microwave and causing a fire hazard.