Stopping Power and Range units for charged particles

In summary, the unit of stopping power is often given as Mev/cm and is easy to understand. The mass stopping power is calculated by dividing MeV/cm by the density of the material and the unit is MeVcm2/g. The range of a charged particle is obtained by integration and the unit will be cm if MeV/cm is used and g/cm2 if MeVcm2/g is used. The author is trying to compare calculation results using both unit sets and is seeking opinions on which unit set is more useful and logical. There are two options - giving the values in a density-independent way (MeV cm2/g and g/cm2) or a density-dependent way (MeV/cm and cm). Both options have advantages
parazit
Dear members,

The unit of stopping power is given as Mev/cm in many sources. It is easy to comprehend this unit.The mass stopping power, which is the total energy lost per path length by a charged particle, is defined as the division of MeV/cm to the density of investigated material, g/cm3, and unit of mass stopping power is MeVcm2/g. This unit is also logic due to the addition of the density parameter of the material.

The range of a charged particle is obtained by an integration operation related to the stopping power so the unit of range will be cm when MeV/cm is adopted, and will be g/cm2 when MeVcm2/g is adopted.

I am trying to compare the calculation results of stopping power and range data obtained for a number of elements and composites where I got the results in both unit sets as;

i. Mev/cm for the stopping power and cm for the range
ii. MeVcm2/g for the stopping power and g/cm2 for the range

I would like to express the stopping power in the units of MeVcm2/g since the density effect is important regarding the materials studies and the range in the units of cm since I would like to express this phenomena as length to make it more understandable.

The problem arise here. The high stopping power should result less particle range and vice versa. If the unit of MeVcm2/g is used for the stopping power, which takes account the density of the material, and cm for the range, which does not takes account the density of the material, "high stopping power should result less particle range and vice versa" situation is disappearing. Also, due to the density effect I suppose, the material with the highest stopping power and the particle with the highest range differs when using different unit sets.

So, what are your comments? Which unit set is more useful, sensitive and logic when comparing different charged particle ranges in various materials and those materials stopping power? What should I do?

Please do add your valuable comments and share your knowledge.p.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a case of MEGO while reading your post. However the stopping power of any material is obviously affected by the density of the material. Usually this is presented as Mev/cm for the given material, with density built into the calculation.

parazit said:
If the unit of MeVcm2/g is used for the stopping power, which takes account the density of the material, and cm for the range, which does not takes account the density of the material, "high stopping power should result less particle range and vice versa" situation is disappearing.
It does not disappear, it is shifted to a later step.

A range of 20 g/cm2 gives you 20 cm in water, but tens to hundreds of meters in water vapor.

mathman said:
I got a case of MEGO while reading your post. However the stopping power of any material is obviously affected by the density of the material. Usually this is presented as Mev/cm for the given material, with density built into the calculation.

Thanks for your reply and yea, I should not have lost myself while writing.

If MeV/cm has built in density affect then why there exist another unit obtained by dividing MeV/cm with density ?

mfb said:
It does not disappear, it is shifted to a later step.

A range of 20 g/cm2 gives you 20 cm in water, but tens to hundreds of meters in water vapor.

I understand that situation yet representing the range in cm unit while using MeVcm2/g for stopping power will not result in the mentioned relationship. I need to use g/cm2 for range.

So, you suggest me to use the unit set ii and give the metric range when asked or what is your suggestion? Please explain.

I don't understand what you are asking in your last post.

You have two different options.
  • Give the stopping power and range in a density-independent way (MeV cm2/g and g/2), then you can use the same formula for gases and liquids, and it will often apply as approximation to a wide range of materials.
  • Give the stopping power and range in a density-dependent way (MeV/cm and cm), then this number is valid for a specific material in a specific form only, but it is easier to use if you happen to have this material.
Both options have advantages and disadvantages, and both options are used due to that.

Thanks a lot for your kind and patient behavior.

1. What is stopping power for charged particles?

Stopping power is a measure of how much energy a charged particle loses when it passes through a material. It is typically expressed in units of energy loss per unit distance, such as MeV/cm or keV/µm.

2. How is stopping power calculated?

The stopping power of a charged particle is calculated by taking into account the properties of the particle (such as its energy and charge) and the material it is passing through (such as its density and composition). This calculation is typically done using theoretical models or experimental data.

3. What is the difference between stopping power and range?

Stopping power and range are both measures of how charged particles interact with matter. Stopping power refers to the amount of energy a particle loses, while range refers to the distance a particle can travel before losing all of its energy. Stopping power is dependent on energy, while range is dependent on initial energy and particle mass.

4. What are the units for stopping power and range?

The units for stopping power are typically MeV/cm or keV/µm, while the units for range are usually expressed in centimeters (cm) or micrometers (µm). However, there are alternative units used in certain fields, such as the units of energy loss per unit depth (MeV/g/cm^2) used in medical physics.

5. How do stopping power and range affect particle detectors?

Stopping power and range are important considerations in particle detector design. In order to accurately measure the energy and identity of a charged particle, the detector must be able to accurately measure its energy loss and range. Additionally, the range of a particle can affect the resolution and efficiency of a detector.