Strange Effects When Nitinol is Annealed at 300 C electrically

In summary, Scott found that when annealing nitinol, the wire moves up and down in a systematic manner and can form standing waves. He thinks that this happens because the wire is relieved of internal stress at 300 degrees Celsius, which causes it to move easily in the direction of stress. However, the standing waves are not as consistent as when the wire is annealed at a lower temperature.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

I was curious about any thoughts any of you might have concerning an interesting result I found today. While I was annealing a 32 cm wire of nitinol at about 300 C, which for its diameter is about 1 amp, I noticed that when the wire was made less tense, it moved up and down systematically. I noticed if I blew on the wire, making it cold, it tensed up and the effect temporarily disappeared. The effect also went away when I decreased the amperage a couple hundreths or increased the tension.

When my teacher and I looked at the wire more closely, besides moving up and down systematically about 4 millimeters, for 32 cm of wire, the wire seemed to bunch up forming a continuous standing wave. The best we could think to explain it is that since 300 C is the minimum temperature at which nitinol can be annealed, changing air currents or changing the amperage, decreased it below that certain threshold. The waves we believe were caused by the fact that we had an AC generator right below the sample on the counter, generating the one amp.

Even with this explanation though, certain descrepancies remain. The wire for one moved systematically up and down, and to a lesser extent side to side, besides having the apparent standing wave. I am going to go back tommorrow and test it at a location further away from the AC generator to see if there is a change, but I would appreciate any comments on possible reasons for this effect.

Thanks,
-scott

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could a mentor please change the thread title to "Strange Effects When Nitinol is Annealed at 300 C electrically"? The current thread title is misleading.

Thanks,
-scott

The setup and behavior is not entirely clear. Can you include a picture?

More questions:
1. What's the TT for this particular wire?
2. What kind of power supply were you using? What was the frequency of the AC?
3. What was the frequency of the motion of the wire?

Gokul,

I recently looked at the setup again. I tried annealing another long wire at a distance significantly farther away from the powersource. I was using DC current. Anyways I found that the continual motion was not so systematic with the second experiment. I think now that since I was annealing nitinol on the edge of its annealing range, slight changes in air temperature resulted in changes in grain response to stress. Essentially internal stress was relieved at 300 C, and the wire moved easily in the direction of applied stress, in this case with gravity, but when slightly cooled the grains stopped migrating and turned back to a stiffer position. I am not sure what caused the small standing waves on the wire. It could have been an actual magnetic field effecting it, or it could have been that I was just straining my eyes too hard. Attached is a diagram of the experiment setup. I was orginally doing this to reset wires for Two-Way Effect tests.

Thanks,
-Scott

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

1. What is Nitinol and how does it behave when annealed at 300°C electrically?

Nitinol is a shape memory alloy composed of nickel and titanium. When annealed at 300°C electrically, it undergoes a phase transformation known as a martensitic transformation, which causes it to exhibit unique properties such as shape memory and superelasticity.

2. What are the potential applications of Nitinol annealed at 300°C electrically?

Nitinol annealed at 300°C electrically has a wide range of potential applications, including medical devices such as stents and orthodontic wires, as well as in aerospace and robotics industries due to its shape memory and superelastic properties.

3. How does the annealing process at 300°C affect the microstructure of Nitinol?

The annealing process at 300°C causes the formation of a new microstructure in Nitinol, known as the R-phase, which is responsible for its unique properties. This microstructure is formed due to the diffusion of nickel and titanium atoms at high temperatures.

4. Is there a specific duration for the electrical annealing process at 300°C for Nitinol?

The duration of the electrical annealing process at 300°C for Nitinol varies depending on the desired properties and the thickness of the material. Generally, it can range from a few minutes to several hours.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when annealing Nitinol at 300°C electrically?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when annealing Nitinol at 300°C electrically. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation to avoid exposure to fumes. Additionally, the annealing process should be conducted in a controlled environment to prevent any accidents or mishaps.