1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since lim(x→∞)(lnx )^2=∞ and lim(x→∞)x=∞, the function is indeterminate, ∞/∞.

lim(x→∞)(lnx)^2/x=lim(x→∞) d/dx (lnx )^2/(d/dx x)=lim(x→∞)(2 lnx (1/x))/1

An I am stuck...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2010 #2
    I think L'Hostpital's rule can be used very easily here. - just apply it again.

Alternatively, it's not hard to see the answer from the following expansion of logarithm.

[tex]{\rm ln}(x)=2\sum_{i=1}^\infty {{1}\over{2i-1}}\Bigl({{x-1}\over{x+1}}\Bigr)^{2i-1}[/tex]

With experience, you will recognize the answer to similar limits by inspection. Not many functions increase monotonically as slowly as logarithm. Granted, that's not a reliable, nor mathematically correct way to get the answer, but it helps to know the answer before you solve the problem.
  4. Jul 10, 2010 #3
    This might be a higher-level answer. My answer should be looking much easier cause we don't work with i's and sums.
  5. Jul 10, 2010 #4
    OK, don't worry about that. Just take your first answer from L'Hospital's rule and put it in a simple numerator over denominator form. Then apply the rule again.
  6. Jul 10, 2010 #5
    (2 lnx (1/x))/1 = 2(ln x)/x

Can you finish it from there?
  7. Jul 10, 2010 #6
    Okay, so here it is:
    lim(x→∞) (2 lnx)/x=
    lim(x→∞)(d/dx lnx)/(d/dx x)=
    lim(x→∞)(2 (1/x))/1=

Should I take a derivative again, or it's enough and 2/infinity equals zero?
  8. Jul 10, 2010 #7
    You have it, the answer is 0. You can't use l'Hopital's rule again anyway since 2/x isn't indeterminate like the other expressions you had before.
  9. Jul 10, 2010 #8
    I see it now, thank you very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook