1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Trig Function solutions

1. May 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is part of a problem for a nonlinear diff class... But it's the basic stuff that's tripping me up.

Find all the max/min and concavity for

[tex]v(x) = -cos(x)-Lx+1,\ \ \ 0<L<1 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's what I do:

[tex] v'(x) = sin(x)-L [/tex]
    [tex]v''(x)=cos(x)[/tex]

Set the first derivative to 0:

[tex]sin(x)-L=0 \Rightarrow x = arcsin(L)[/tex]

Here's where I'm confused. I say

[tex]x = arcsin(L) + 2\pi n, \ \ \ \mbox{where }n \mbox{ is any integer}[/tex]

But Maple says:

[tex]x = arcsin(L)+2\pi n, \ \ \ \mbox{where }n \mbox{ is any integer, OR:}[/tex]
    [tex]x = arcsin(L) - 2arcsin(L)+2\pi n+\pi \ \ \ \mbox{where }n \mbox{ is any integer}[/tex]

Where does the -2arcsin(L) and the +pi come from?????

I really want to understand this once and for all.... I never took a trig class, and while I get by fine 99% of the time, I hit a brick wall when I come across this kind of stuff.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2007 #2
    I think I almost understand it... The second set of values of x are the ones where the arcsin is in the II quadrant. Correct?

And obviously it makes more sense to write:

[tex] x = \pi - arcsin(L) + 2\pi n[/tex]

for the 2nd set of x values.

Yeah, I think I get it now. I was just looking at the graph of arcsine, and it doesn't seem to make sense from that.

Is there a way to see that those are the solutions by looking at the arcsine graph?

Thanks.

4. May 19, 2007 #3
    I hope you understand the first solution.
    The second part of the solution is better understood if you manipulate the terms a bit , it can be written as [itex]x = (2n+1)\pi-arcsin(L)[/itex].
    Noting that [itex]sin(n\pi-x)=sin(x) [/itex] for all odd n, you can now see how this is also part of the solution.

If you still don't follow, perhaps substitution of values for L into the solutions can give a clearer picture.
    For the graphical picture, you should use the sin(x) graph. Fix some L value, find arcsin(L), and see what other values of x, do you get sin(x)=L, that's all.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?