1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of container for vacuum freeze drying

1. Aug 4, 2015 #1
    I have read that freeze drying is the best way to salvage wet books (http://www.ccaha.org/uploads/media_items/technical-bulletin-salvaging-books.original.pdf). However, freeze dryers run in the thousands of dollars, and I don't know anyone who has one I can borrow. Solution: make my own!

I have found some instructions on creating a vacuum system (http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=424), and I assume adding dry ice will create the desired temperatures. However, I can't seem to figure out the what qualifies as a vacuum chamber. (I was a physics minor in college, but I don't have an engineering background.) The examples cite water heaters, etc., but to my knowledge, the examples cited cannot be opened to place books inside. Could I attach the vacuum system to a cooler/ice chest, or would it implode under the pressure or leak? Could I simply place dry ice in or around the cooler to achieve the desired temperature?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2015 #2

Lok

A pressure cooker should do. Though it's sealing elements are usually in the wrong direction (high pressure in, not out), but some could work both ways.

The link looks into freeze drying and other methods. but with a vacuum you could just dehumidify via a vacuum pump. This will lower the temperature inside the chamber by phase change alone. So a low temperature environment like a freezer could enclose your pressure cooker, you just need a small tube to get out of the freezer to the vacuum pump.

And this should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook