Strength of container for vacuum freeze drying

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of freeze drying to salvage wet books, but the high cost of freeze dryers leads to the solution of creating a DIY vacuum system with dry ice. The question arises about the suitable vacuum chamber, with suggestions of using a pressure cooker or a freezer with a small tube. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a vacuum pump to dehumidify the chamber.
Physiogista
I have read that freeze drying is the best way to salvage wet books (http://www.ccaha.org/uploads/media_items/technical-bulletin-salvaging-books.original.pdf). However, freeze dryers run in the thousands of dollars, and I don't know anyone who has one I can borrow. Solution: make my own!

I have found some instructions on creating a vacuum system (http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=424), and I assume adding dry ice will create the desired temperatures. However, I can't seem to figure out the what qualifies as a vacuum chamber. (I was a physics minor in college, but I don't have an engineering background.) The examples cite water heaters, etc., but to my knowledge, the examples cited cannot be opened to place books inside. Could I attach the vacuum system to a cooler/ice chest, or would it implode under the pressure or leak? Could I simply place dry ice in or around the cooler to achieve the desired temperature?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A pressure cooker should do. Though it's sealing elements are usually in the wrong direction (high pressure in, not out), but some could work both ways.

The link looks into freeze drying and other methods. but with a vacuum you could just dehumidify via a vacuum pump. This will lower the temperature inside the chamber by phase change alone. So a low temperature environment like a freezer could enclose your pressure cooker, you just need a small tube to get out of the freezer to the vacuum pump.

And this should work.

1. What is the purpose of using a strong container for vacuum freeze drying?

The main purpose of using a strong container for vacuum freeze drying is to prevent the container from collapsing due to the extreme pressure difference between the inside and outside of the container. This ensures that the contents of the container are not damaged during the freeze drying process.

2. How does the strength of the container affect the freeze drying process?

The strength of the container is crucial in maintaining the vacuum pressure required for freeze drying. If the container is not strong enough, it may deform or break under the pressure, which can compromise the freeze drying process and lead to subpar results.

3. What materials are commonly used for strong containers in vacuum freeze drying?

Stainless steel and glass are the most commonly used materials for strong containers in vacuum freeze drying. These materials are able to withstand the high pressure and extreme temperatures involved in the freeze drying process.

4. Is it necessary to use a specialized container for vacuum freeze drying?

Yes, it is necessary to use a specialized container for vacuum freeze drying. Regular containers may not be able to withstand the pressure and temperature changes and may compromise the freeze drying process. Specialized containers are designed to be strong and leak-proof to ensure the best results.

5. Can a container be reused for multiple vacuum freeze drying cycles?

Most containers used for vacuum freeze drying can be reused for multiple cycles. However, it is important to regularly check the container for any signs of wear or damage that may affect its strength and integrity. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for the maximum number of cycles a container can be used for.